Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Moving to Portugal
Topic Summary: Looking for feedback from people who lived / visited before.
Created On: 01/26/2022 05:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2022 05:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

hairyDUDE

Joined Forum: 09/10/2003

So, I am thinking about moving to Portugal. I have always wanted to live in Europe and Portugal has some interesting pros, e.g. cost of living, weather, surf, etc.

Anyone has lived in Portugal before that can provide some feedback on their experience? Good surf? Cold water...

Thx - peace!

-------------------------
Uga Uga!!!
 01/26/2022 06:24 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Please stay on 2ndlight if you do.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/26/2022 06:53 PM

surfspaz

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

I spent 3 weeks in January a few years ago in Ericeira, rented an air bnb and a car, drove as far south as carcavelos and as far north as Nazare. Surfed proper good waves every single day. There are so many different places to surf there. Regular foot dream. A lot of really good rights, including coxos (insane right point). Food is amazing. Everything was super cheap. I would live there if I could. I lived in San Diego before and it reminded me of similar landscape to there minus the bajillion people. Pulling up on cliffs to check waves, hiking down goat trails. Supertubos is epic. Peniche is cool too. It was my first cold water surf trip and I plan on going back after all the covid bs subsides. Who cares about a wetsuit when the waves are consistently good. Anyways wet suit technology is so dialed. 4/3 and boots in winter, trunks in summer. Go for it if you can!
 01/27/2022 06:16 AM

Central Floridave

Can you speak the language?
 01/27/2022 06:40 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Central Floridave Can you speak the language?
ya don't really need to, and you can get by on spanish. do yer googles Dave. there's thousands of expats there! it's another surfers paradise. shhhhh

Edited: 01/27/2022 at 06:41 AM by StirfryMcflurry
 01/27/2022 07:54 AM

Central Floridave

Google would tell me if hairydude can speak Portuguese?
 01/27/2022 08:13 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

I went there for 4 days so obviously not much to tell. Taxi driver said everybody under 40 speaks English. Best octopus dish I've ever had.
 01/27/2022 08:17 AM

StirfryMcflurry

lol , obrigado Dave! & I believe tpaps also checked it out for us...
 01/27/2022 09:23 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I think hairyDUDE lived in Brazil for a good while, so odds are he's at least conversant in Portuguese.

Being surrounded by Spanish speakers in Latin America, the Brazos are familiar with "Portunhol" -- a mix of Spanish and Portuguese, but not big fans of it.

With Spain and Portugal sharing a border, they have their own flavor of Portunhol, so Spanish speakers can at least get by.

The Brazos I talked with told me the Portuguese I was learning from European tapes 25 years ago sounded like their great grandfather's farm workers.
 01/27/2022 01:26 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Obrigado also works in Japanese
 01/28/2022 06:59 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

CurtisEflush lmao

Edited: 01/28/2022 at 06:59 AM by waterlizard25
 01/28/2022 08:47 AM

johnnyboy

I think any time you learn a language from tapes, cd's or books, it probably makes the native speakers laugh. This is how the North Koreans learned english and used the 100 year old insult Dotard against Trump. The press had to look it up.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/28/2022 01:03 PM

StirfryMcflurry

so says a counselor , who can't keep the politrix over in nsr
 01/29/2022 10:03 AM

hairyDUDE

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Please stay on 2ndlight if you do.

Definitely staying here. Been a member forever

Uga Uga!!!
 01/29/2022 10:05 AM

hairyDUDE

Originally posted by: surfspaz

I spent 3 weeks in January a few years ago in Ericeira, rented an air bnb and a car, drove as far south as carcavelos and as far north as Nazare. Surfed proper good waves every single day. There are so many different places to surf there. Regular foot dream. A lot of really good rights, including coxos (insane right point). Food is amazing. Everything was super cheap. I would live there if I could. I lived in San Diego before and it reminded me of similar landscape to there minus the bajillion people. Pulling up on cliffs to check waves, hiking down goat trails. Supertubos is epic. Peniche is cool too. It was my first cold water surf trip and I plan on going back after all the covid bs subsides. Who cares about a wetsuit when the waves are consistently good. Anyways wet suit technology is so dialed. 4/3 and boots in winter, trunks in summer. Go for it if you can!

Thanks for all the insight! Definitely seriously thinking about going.

Uga Uga!!!
 01/29/2022 10:06 AM

hairyDUDE

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

Can you speak the language?

Hey Dave, yes. I lived in Brazil for 7 years a while back. Same language with some distinct differences in grammar and dialect.

Uga Uga!!!
 01/29/2022 10:08 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Portugal is beautiful. The surf is wonderful. The food is even better. I'd move there if I could. Do it!
 01/29/2022 10:09 AM

hairyDUDE

Originally posted by: CurtisEflush

I think hairyDUDE lived in Brazil for a good while, so odds are he's at least conversant in Portuguese.

Being surrounded by Spanish speakers in Latin America, the Brazos are familiar with "Portunhol" -- a mix of Spanish and Portuguese, but not big fans of it.

With Spain and Portugal sharing a border, they have their own flavor of Portunhol, so Spanish speakers can at least get by.

The Brazos I talked with told me the Portuguese I was learning from European tapes 25 years ago sounded like their great grandfather's farm workers.

It's true. I lived in Brazil for 7 years. It was a great experience. I would go back but since I have a family now (I didn't before) I worry more about safety and want to give my family a good opportunity to experience life abroad without worrying about safety in general. Plus Europe allows you to experience many countries and cultures for relatively cheap prices. Flight from Lisbon to Rome (and other countries) for about $40 round trip.

Uga Uga!!!
 01/29/2022 10:46 AM

hairyDUDE

Originally posted by: ww

Obrigado also works in Japanese

I think it would be Arigato in Japanese. Close enough

Uga Uga!!!
 01/29/2022 11:02 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I met so many people of Japanese descent in Sao Paulo that it was hard to tell the difference between obrigado and arigato.

HD, where in Brazil did you live?
FORUMS : Surfing : Moving to Portugal

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .