Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: American is having a one-day sale to Sydney & Auckland
Topic Summary: From all the Fla airports it serves, even Melbourne & Daytona
Created On: 08/05/2022 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/05/2022 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

late Oct to late Nov. I think you can do Thanksgiving in Sydney, at least from Orlando. $817 basic plus 1 checked bag free, 120+ for main cabin, which allows free ticket change. That will be the equivalent to May for us, probably bad for surfing. Auckland is a bit under $900, you can do Thanksgiving there flying from Melbourne.

Edited: 08/05/2022 at 01:24 PM by ww
 08/05/2022 01:58 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

are you goin, or just ww hypin it up?
 08/05/2022 04:02 PM

ww

I've been to NZ twice, and have friends in Christchurch as an excuse to revisit. Haven't been to Australia and would like to be in Perth when the banksia plants are flowering (sort of our summer, their winter). It's the farthest commercial airport from Orlando. You can make a round-the-world trip of it. Also would be happy to see Cairns (best place for palms) and coastal NSW or Tasmania. While the cities are allegedly very nice, they have those in Canada and the PNW. Even Atlanta got a flattering livability rating lately. Atlanta!
    To some extent you can visit Australia in the US. Queensland palms like Florida, California has Perth plants and the San Diego Zoo's safari park has platypuses. For Sydney beach eye candy, Aquabumps.
    I've got the miles for several long trips. The airline's reward scheme is better for long flights than shorter ones.
    The November window for those fares is bad for me--I have a part time "job" the rest of the year with a holiday light show. But sure, I once did a 5-night trip to Taipei on a cheap flight (it's even farther away than New Zealand) and it was great, so sneaking out isn't entirely crazy. Didn't have a good camera. Then again, a prize national-treasure quality Chinese painting proudly on display at the art museum has its permanent home in Kansas City. It's incredible how much great art got bought by rich Americans.
For rest-of-year travel, there's a light show I'd like to see in Sept. and I have a possible surf-photography trip for August, but Surfline's predictions that far out went from 3 to 15 feet today. Worthless.

Edited: 08/05/2022 at 05:33 PM by ww
 08/09/2022 10:09 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

I am on my way to Australia right now. Flying to Perth first, headed to Margaret River and then Yalingup for the first 10 days, then heading to Sydney and surfing around there for another week. I'll be sure to take notes for other 2L'ers hoping to make the trip.

-------------------------
http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 08/10/2022 08:07 AM

ww

Yow! It's a different Australia. Now (winter) is the rainy season but it should be impressive. It's the only part of Australia with a coastal California/Mediterranean type of climate. The southern hemisphere plant life connections are neat--the Australian Banksia bushes are similar to the South African (mostly Cape) Proteas. In turn, the Cape region is its own tiny plant kingdom, unlike anywhere else in Africa but a bit like Western Australia. It's a leftover from Gondwana, a long-ago southern supercontinent that had very distinct plant and animal life from the northern continent at the time, Laurasia. Have a fantastic trip.
 08/10/2022 03:09 PM

ww

For Australian shopping, Podware seem to have their own little swim fin factory and seem alone, along with the little Single in Newport Beach, in having asymmetrical foot pockets in their PF3 fin. Not sold in USA.
 08/17/2022 04:10 AM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

Quick surf report. I found a near new Tomo 6.6 for $550 Aus and then headed to Gnarabup. The AirBnb had a view of Gas Bay. The first couple of days were double overhead plus, one day howling offshores and the next onshore and rainy. I drove all the way to Augusta, saw a few rideable waves at Red Gate, then got stuck with no 4wd trying to get to Deepdene which looked rideable but too far away. Checked the Augusta rivermouth, too small, so checked out the lighthouse and Jewel Cave. Finally got some waves today (head high to 2 feet overhead) at Gracetown - South Point (Huzzah's) with only a few locals out, winds were offshore to calm. Easy channel to get out, lefts and rights, with a bigger, longer left at the south end of the bay. After getting out I saw some amazing waves at North Point - above my pay grade. Will post photos soon.

-------------------------
http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .