Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Opinions on the best surfing watch.
Topic Summary: I have been through many.
Created On: 09/17/2022 06:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/18/2022 01:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

My wife bought me a watcg from Surfer Mag last century. First time in the water I was going down the line when a flailer dropped in on me and hit my hand and it was gone.
 09/18/2022 09:52 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Once I got an Apple Watch (series 5), I never looked back.

My wife gave it to me since there were a couple of incidents that I locked myself out of my car after surfing, and had to approach strangers to borrow their cell and call her.

The Apple Watch lets me call or text, but sand already go into the mic and must have broken it, so I can only text now.
 09/19/2022 10:48 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

">http://www.costco.com/glycine-...721205.html

I got this with my Costco rewards check. The lightweight fabric band goes around the underside so one pin failure won't send it to oblivion. Waterproof to 1000' and automatic no battery. I was intrigued by this idea if going back in time to buy an antique before it become an antique and deciding to buy it solely on the merits. I was watching antiques roadshow and there was a guy there with a Rolex submariner that he bought for 200 in 1980 and he beat it up in normal wear and tear for four decades. It was still worth 8k. That's what I was looking for.

Excellent choice, an actual Swiss made mechanical watch with automatic winding. Excellent taste. Glycine recently released a Combat Sub in 39mm also.

Beware, fine mechanical watches are a rabbit hole that's easy to fall in.

For water sports you can't beat a Casio G shock, I've got a few but my favorite as an all around sports watch is the new GAB-2100.

Solar powered, synchs to your phone with Bluetooth for atomic clock accuracy, world time, only $150.

EDIT: Also not hockey puck sized like the Gulfman

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".

Edited: 09/19/2022 at 10:49 AM by RustyTruck
 09/21/2022 06:26 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I can see how the dream of an automatic, Swiss forever watch grows like a cancer in me. I really do like this glycine. But I may be a serial monogamist on this. I am very happy for now.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/21/2022 06:36 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

johnnyboy,

I'm with you on the "Swiss automatic".

I used a cheap Casio for surfing but, on dry land I wore my Breitling Superocean.

Dora Hates You
 09/21/2022 07:50 AM

johnnyboy

Thats quite a watch. I also would never jeopardize that in the surf. I wanted this one to be everyday all day and if I lost it, I wouldn't be broke. $300 is the very top end of that analysis.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/21/2022 09:18 AM

dingpatch

And, at the price you paid, it's an excellent deal and, , , , , , the sapphire crystal is a big Bonus.

Dora Hates You
 09/21/2022 12:21 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

My ancient Omega Seamaster was a necessity for about 10 years of outdoor jobs but lost its waterproof status long ago, so it's for show. Back when, water resistant watches were kind of hard to get.
 09/21/2022 08:52 PM

johnnyboy

Water resistant was a lot like "some assembly required." I had an old Heuer before they were Tag Heuer. It was one of the first screw down crowns. Water "resistant to 660'" That beautiful watch lasted about two years. The jeweler at Hamilton in the mall told me if I wanted it to last, I shouldn't surf with it. It died like so many others.

09/22/2022 05:17 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Water resistant was a lot like "some assembly required." I had an old Heuer before they were Tag Heuer. It was one of the first screw down crowns. Water "resistant to 660'" That beautiful watch lasted about two years. The jeweler at Hamilton in the mall told me if I wanted it to last, I shouldn't surf with it. It died like so many others.

Vintage Heuer is in high demand in the watch community, and unless it was flooded with water and rusted, it can (should) be serviced by a professional watchmaker.

Vintage Omega Seamasters are also classic, I'd like to see that one.

But surfing or diving, I'd go G-shock. Don't risk a 4 figure watch in the ocean.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 09/23/2022 11:20 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

When I'm surfing,
I don't want to care
what time it is

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 09/23/2022 04:28 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: WG When I'm surfing, I don't want to care what time it is
5/5, for the WIN!
 09/23/2022 05:38 PM

hititback

Joined Forum: 12/18/2006

Garmin makes some really good gps enabled watches. I don't have this particular model but I've heard good things.

Garmin instinct

Edited: 09/23/2022 at 05:43 PM by hititback
 09/24/2022 03:49 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

I can see how the dream of an automatic, Swiss forever watch grows like a cancer in me. I really do like this glycine. But I may be a serial monogamist on this. I am very happy for now.

Yeah, I like automatic watches and am not a total watch nerd or brand snob but do appreciate a good mechanical watch and there are a lot of good ones out there.
I'll say this though, eco-drives are wonderful and I only have to reset the time when the time change happens. They are always within about 10-30 seconds of USNO time after six months. Mechanical watches just can't keep that type of accuracy. The eco=drive pro dive series is pretty impressive and lot of hard users like them.

Glycine has some good things going for it. Yes, a few years ago they became part of Invecta but invecta has not messed with them and let them carry on their heritage watches. The company has been around for over 100 years. Pete Conrad wore an Airman during his space flight. Sapphire crystal with good anti reflective coating. Decent lum, a good size screw down crown with stout threads and a healthy o-ring that is easy to maintain and stays waterproof. Solid movements by ETA and sellita, Thin...these are thin for a 200 or 300 meter automatic. Solid bracelet construction and finish. A decent jeweler can regulate these to <+/-3spd if yours is funky. I haven't had a reason to have that done that to a glycine, but have on much more expensive watches. Both the Combat Sub and Airman lines are really good watches overall, especially considering the price.
My hope is that they come out with a good Ti Combat sub in 42mm. I have a couple of Ti watches from other brands and they are a great cool wearing and light watch.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 09/24/2022 at 07:51 AM by Bamboo
 09/24/2022 10:35 AM

johnnyboy

I got this glycine from Costco for $300. I think it sells elsewhere for about 400. Costco also had an automatic timex for 250 that has a plastic face. That wouldn't last a year in good times. The movement was Japanese. The timex felt like a cheap kids watch compared to the glycine. It's not easy to find all those features for 300.

09/24/2022 06:37 PM

ww

The Omega. I wore it every day for ten years or so. Crystal's been replaced once, the second hand is a lousy substitute for the original.

Edited: 09/24/2022 at 09:55 PM by ww
 09/25/2022 11:15 AM

johnnyboy

That's what I was thinking of when I said a lifetime watch. Look at that soldier!

09/25/2022 11:53 AM

ww

I think I could have got a model with a recessed crystal. The scar on the back was some blundering watch repair person.
 09/25/2022 01:41 PM

IamSAW

Joined Forum: 05/02/2006

nice watch ww, cool factor off the charts. And that vid is amazing RT, more parts than an AT and so tiny. These days that's def a watch to wear going out, but not going in.
 09/26/2022 04:57 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Yeah, WW, that old Seamaster is muy cool!

You must have been in a flash gordon phase when you picked out that second hand!

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
FORUMS : Surfing : Opinions on the best surfing watch.

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .