Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: PR West and South
Topic Summary: any advice
Created On: 11/28/2022 03:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/28/2022 03:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MyNameIsRobertPaulson

Joined Forum: 08/14/2014

I am trying to stay away from all the gringos in Grincon. Does anyone have experience surfing the west coast, southwest, and even south coast of PR? Any advice
 11/29/2022 11:19 AM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

There's always the shacks beach / Jobos / Wilderness zone....but that can get quite busy as well. Never forget when a guy paddled out at 3 foot jobos with a knife in his teeth and cut some leggies. about 15 years back....the jobos welcoming committee!! I have never surfed near San Juan but there are actually some breaks there you can tackle with a paddle off shore....I have heard from most that have been down in the last year or so that Maria's / Domes has indeed gotten quite busy......but sure is a pretty area....good luck!!
 11/29/2022 12:00 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Shacks is where its at! Is Villa Tropical still around
 11/30/2022 06:57 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Don't count on any good surf in the South or SW region unless a weird Low spins below PR then chk Cabo Rojo. Little Malibu all the way around to Middles will be packed, nothing you can do...more people in the world = more surfers and bodyboarders. Early AM , Lunch time and late PM best times just like any other surf destination. I'll skip the rest of the N coast to San Juan as this is a public forum and that area should not be discussed...Now let's talk San Juan...huge population and few spots, La Ocho can be fun because it is spread out peaks everywhere and the talent level is usually lower than NW spots. Small Novelty wave in front of the Sheraton which is usually empty. I'll skip some other locations just to keep things on the DL. There are REAL waves (Big, experts only IMO) way outside San Juan outer reefs but you need a jet ski, Boat, SUP to get to it. Next best option for empty surf would be La Pared (The Wall) about 2 hrs East of San Juan, some call it the East Coast of PR. Fun punchy beach break/reef with a sandy(ish) bottom. Really nice beach bars, cool vibe, GO ALONE PLEASE, it's just better in every sense of getting in w/ the locals. I'll stop here and keep a few other spots under wraps. As you may know, PR is a huge island and takes hours to get from coast to coast.

Edited: 11/30/2022 at 07:47 AM by SurferMic
 11/30/2022 08:59 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I tried to surf San Juan last January. Lots of rocks and weird channels. I stuck to the crowd but for how big the swell was, it was a burger. I saw the potential but not the days I was there. The crowds were very big. There is real talent there too.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/01/2022 11:54 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

San Juan is crowded that is true, La 8 I like because it spread the crowd out, Puntas Las Maria is where you want to go to IF the wind is right or early in the AM. Chk w/ the local surf shops for possible "rent a ride out & back" for a fair price and big tip. Again I hope you are travelling alone or at most with 1 other surfer. It's a good 1/2 mile out. -- OR --- You want more remoteness, less crowds and waves? Ferry ride from Ceiba to Culebra. Taxi to the surf spots on the island or talk w./ the Dive shops to see if anyone can take you to the reefs on the North and/or east side.

Edited: 12/01/2022 at 01:42 PM by SurferMic
FORUMS : Surfing : PR West and South

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .