Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Satellite Beach proposes to charge for parking
Topic Summary: 2 free parks, paid everywhere else
Created On: 02/21/2023 06:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2023 06:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Resident and non-resident year-round passes can be purchased. (*)

Letter from city manager arrived in mailbox today.

Will be discussed at the next few city council meetings.

(*) Clarification: The letter says (residents can) "obtain an annual pass at no additional cost."

I added the italics in additional above. I understand that now to mean "nothing in addition to the taxes you're already paying."

The letter also says that applies to any City resident (those that reside within the City limits of SB). I suppose if you're a renter, but have a local DL or utility bill showing you live in the city, they assume you're paying property taxes via what your landlord adds to the rent.

Edited: 02/27/2023 at 08:53 AM by CurtisEflush
 02/22/2023 05:30 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Where does satellite begin and end? I've lived here forever, and I'm still not sure where one town ends and another begins.

-------------------------
I was right.

Edited: 02/22/2023 at 05:30 AM by Cole
 02/22/2023 07:10 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

You dont need to know where satellite beach city limits are. just stay up there where you belong.
 02/22/2023 07:36 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

For you newbies, Hightower to Balsa Bill's. For longtime locals (who probably already know the city limits), Capehart to Va Fried Chicken.
 02/22/2023 07:40 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

as far as I could ride - N or S on my stingray bike & good one chopola
 02/22/2023 08:11 AM

Central Floridave

I use to work at Virginia Fried Chicken. 1983.
 02/22/2023 08:22 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: Cole

Where does satellite begin and end? I've lived here forever, and I'm still not sure where one town ends and another begins.

North edge of Montecito to Patrick SFB is unincorporated Brevard. Basically Hightower is Satellite and Perkins isn't.
 02/22/2023 11:57 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

parking meters? ...Let's see they spent $200K for a lame sk8 park rebuild; cost Sat bch a ton of dough, wonder what they will do with the new bucket of money...build a bike path with speed bumps every 30 feet ? Ok rant over on the waste of 200K, parking meters blow, so happy they did not do it at Paravirus Beach even if it draws more crowd w/o them

Edited: 02/22/2023 at 11:58 AM by SurferMic
 02/22/2023 12:36 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Read their lips: more new taxes!
All those concessions to developers and mcmansion builders for low usage fees for schools, roads and infrastructure gotta be paid by somebody, right repiglican doofs and their free-dumb?
that somebody being us

It's a democratic hoax
 02/24/2023 04:40 AM

Cole

The means Satellite has backed the condos at Hightower, and will soon be making it a private beach? Unless you luck into one of the few spot at the park itself, of course.

And chophop, I was surfing Pet Den and Lum's in the 80's.

P.S. Cocoa Beach has remove the meters and swapped it all to internet based collection. Our yearly passes are still twenty bucks.

I was right.

Edited: 02/24/2023 at 04:42 AM by Cole
 02/24/2023 08:37 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Vero Beach's useless beaches remain free and the city might even add some spots at South Beach.
 02/24/2023 01:59 PM

jeff kennedy

Joined Forum: 09/30/2004

Riddle Me this as a threadripper:

Parking Pass for CB:
Cocoa Beach =20 bucks/ Cocoa Beach address (county) =70 bucks/ Cape Canaveral= 20 bucks. WTF Over? Yes Seriously.

www.happyponysurf.com
 02/25/2023 03:15 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Melbeach proper, not south that gets called melbeach but isn't, all metered now. County parks still free. Wondering how long?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/25/2023 04:40 AM

garcia

One of the biggest factors that went into Mel Bch's decision was the incredible amount of vandalism that occurred every weekend to the bathrooms and showers at Ocean Park and the abuse of the residents who neighbored the end of street parks. We were spending $20K/year to fix the toilets and showers alone. (We also spend about $17K/yr for lifeguards at Ocean Park which mainly benefits visitors since few locals use that park.) The vandalism was unbelievable and the women were as bad as the men. We had feces smeared on the bathroom walls and diapers flushed down toilets in the women's restrooms regularly and shower heads broken completely off almost every weekend and many weekdays. The residents near the parking areas had people peeing and puking and leaving trash and parking well into their yards. It was freaking amazing. Take my word for it, I witnessed a lot of it. If Sat Bch is experiencing the same, I don't blame them. It's sad, but, as usual, assholes drive these things.
 02/25/2023 05:15 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

The issue in Satellite is fraud, waste, and abuse in the elected officials. In other words, they are corrupt as hell. They are catering to developers and probably lining their pockets while doing so. It will be interesting to see how some of the ongoing fights play out, but I fear they are going to succeed in turning us into south Florida.

Edited: 02/25/2023 at 05:39 AM by RiddleMe
 02/25/2023 10:55 AM

garcia

It is amazing to me that this round of local politicos have decided to do just that - turn us into S. FL. Who the hell wants that other than the officials in Melbourne, Palm Bay and Sat Beach and, maybe IHB? I cannot believe we bribe companies to come here and then say, "Well, we need to give up our way of life or else they won't come." What does this do for the current residents? (Rhetorical question - Nothing) I have sat in many meetings with these "leaders", including the leader of the port authority and Northrup Grumman and the head of the EDC (Linda W), and they spew a lot of baloney, but, in the end, they just kind of grin. They always talk about jobs, but they don't hire local, they bring their workforce from somewhere else. And, when the term of the bribe (oops, economic incentives) are up, they threaten to leave and dump their workforce on our unemployment rolls on us if we don't give them more. I have lived in Brevard County since 1959 and it is LOST. The battle is over and the end is obvious - we will be just like Miami Beach and Ft. Lauderdale.
 02/26/2023 03:09 AM

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME!!!! DOLLA DOLLA BILLS YO!!! Parks in the 321 were beyond max compacity yesterday!!
 02/26/2023 03:54 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Causeway passes?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/26/2023 09:46 AM

Surfgrl4ever

Joined Forum: 07/08/2004

From what it read , they are going to vote on it , my problem is pelican & High tower parks, there is no payment for parking permits just need free permit ,and then side streets you have to pay if non resident, 75/yearly fee , free to locals ,but the big bulk of the money that they would make would be at these parks but since the county owns them they can't charge instead they just want you to get pass to park free ? Doesn't make sense ,just more personal information on whom is going to the beaches .
 02/26/2023 12:39 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

The history looks confusing to me as I read the City Council meeting agendas and minutes. No time to review the full meeting packets or videos yet.

Looks like they discussed this in meetings on Nov 2 and Nov 16.

The Jan/Feb Beachcaster says they adopted the ordinance (#1228) on 11/16, but the meeting minutes suggest they tabled it pending discussion with the County about releasing City from terms of the deed that prevented charging different access fees for city residents & non-residents at Hightower & Pelican.

The March/April Beachcaster (not online yet?) says the Council will be considering this ordinance at their 3/1 and 3/15 meetings. The city's 2/14 letter also marks these dates (6pm each meeting), so those are the big chances to make your voices heard.

The March 1 meeting packet is online with some of the City Manager's rationale here: https://cms8.revize.com/revize...003-01-23%20Packet.pdf
(Item #8, Page 22)

But some concerns pop up (from the Nov 2 Agenda):

" PROVIDING FOR THE SELECTION OF A THIRD PARTY VENDOR TO MANAGE THE PROGRAM; PROVIDING FOR ENFORCEMENT;"

Free parking at HT & Pelican will likely fill those parks w/ non-residents first, and w/ residents too lazy to get the official pass.

This will place undue burden on parking at nearby businesses (Publix, CVS, Doubles, etc) which may bring about the return of some shady tow-truck operators and questionable appeals processes for fines, while making it more difficult for residents to use these parks.

Another unintended consequence of pushing so many people into Pelican is that parties renting the clubhouse or pavilions there may need dedicated, reserved parking to accommodate their guests. Who wants to show up expecting free parking at the function, but then have to walk 3 blocks and pay on top of that?

Just my $0.02; I hope people show up at the meetings and share some rational, respectful, and well-mannered thoughts!

Edited: 02/26/2023 at 09:24 PM by CurtisEflush
FORUMS : Surfing : Satellite Beach proposes to charge for parking

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .