Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Satellite Beach proposes to charge for parking
Topic Summary: 2 free parks, paid everywhere else
Created On: 02/21/2023 06:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2023 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Surfgrl4ever Doesn't make sense , .
brevard county stopped making sense around the same time Talking Heads got popular, IYKYK
 02/27/2023 05:48 AM

killcutta

Joined Forum: 09/16/2003

Originally posted by: tom

Causeway passes?

02/27/2023 06:23 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

I have mixed feelings about this. First, the letter said parking passes would be free for city residents (if you pay SB property taxes). The funding seems a bit like "cup the ball". General fund, move it here, now which hand is it in etc. I do agree that the influx of people need to pay. Local beach access I use has exploded since covid. The amount of people and trash on a weekend is frankly out of control compared to what it was even pre-covid. From that standpoint, I like the idea. However, in general I could rattle of a list a mile long of examples of how the city council are absolute morons in their planning and execution of what they prioritize for the city initiatives. First off, there is no one that represents people that feel like I do - of which, there are many. I want basic services addressed for the least amount of taxes and the least number of rules/laws. The city has the opposite approach - create dozens of committees constantly looking into things they can meddle in and spend money on. Lets name a few of their gems - creating an unenforceable city law for masks, making a law to keep people from congregating on the cross-overs so technically a family standing together would be in violation, the A1A crosswalks, closing the beach during covid and trying to enforce it with police, stopping the yard waste pickup that allowed you to put palm fronds on the ground in a pile (have to now try and stuff them all in the stupid green can), building out new crossovers that didnt need it in the first place (way before the hurricane damage) when wood cost was at an all time HIGH, implementing paid fire permits, running a cop up and down the beach on a 4 wheeler, their czar like parking laws for boats when we live on an island, taking away a youth practice field to put a retention pond and fountain. I could go on and on. It's the same old codgers that have been in city gov't for 40+years. How old is Mark Brimmer and how many times can the guy be on the board? Make no mistake if you live here, any new blood looks to the old blood for direction and advice so they still steer the city in the same old codger direction. Will be interesting to see how this paid parking plays out.
 02/27/2023 08:47 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I haven't looked into the finances in detail either, but the letter also says, "...to recoup the lost revenue, the City Council will also be contemplating raising Recreation Program fees for non-City residents."

Given all the extra property tax revenue coming from the Oceanus condos, the new McMansions around Montecito, and the homes that have sold for 2-3x their previous assessment in the last two years, I doubt raising the fees for a kid from IHB to play basketball or a senior citizen from SPS to play bingo at the Schecter Center is going to make or break the budget.

On the other hand, those who bought during the recent bubble don't benefit from the previous SOH tax portability law, so, to some extent, they might be paying more than their "fair share" of the beach park maintenance.

My gut feeling is that having a few free parking areas with others requiring payments/passes upsets the "natural order" of things, driving people to scheme it one way or another, while involving third-party enforcement and overhead costs that will never go away.

Simpler is usually better in matters like this.
 02/27/2023 09:11 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

When we instituted paid parking in Mel Bch, we established a separate budget fund that all parking (and parking fine) dollars went into for the sole purpose of maintaining and improving parks (which includes the beach accesses). Residents receive an annual pass for the parks which is paid for by their taxes. (There is no separate levy or additional taxes.) We could not make it "free" because the State beach renourishment plan has a provision that, if we charge non-residents to park, we need to charge residents. But, because resident portion is paid through their taxes, no additional charge is levied when they pick up their annual pass. (Each resident gets one pass for each car registered to that resident within town limits). (Ocean Park is different because we lease it from the state. Residents and non-residents pay the same hourly rate to park there. All funds and fines collected there must be spent in Ocean park only)
 02/27/2023 05:42 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

I'm not sure I would call the housing price increase a bubble, at least not around here. We are still relatively cheap compared to most of coastal Florida.
 02/27/2023 05:47 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Its kind of ironic, the beach surfers want to go to when its going off doesn't even have parking. Are the crybabies gonna blame Sat.bch. leadership when they start towing?
 02/28/2023 06:16 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

In a low tax state, the money has to come from somewhere...at least, that's what I have been told. It's fees, not taxes. lol

-------------------------
I was right.
 02/28/2023 10:46 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Originally posted by: garcia

For you newbies, Hightower to Balsa Bill's. For longtime locals (who probably already know the city limits), Capehart to Va Fried Chicken.

Where is the good fried chicken beachside now?

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/28/2023 11:46 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

^Finally, something useful. I've been driving all the way to Marsh Landing in Fellsmere. They have free parking too.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/28/2023 02:32 PM

garcia

I went to Marsh Landing twice in the past 3 months and had fried chicken both times. I love fried chicken, but this was flat lousy; overcooked and dried out. Been there several times and it is a cool place. Took my granddaughter because I really thought she'd like it, but I won't be back. Lousy sides, too.

If somebody knows of a really good fried chicken place, let me know. Mrs. Casullo owned Va Fried many years ago and it was great. Maryland Fried, where Nippon Thai is now (or maybe the Century 21 office, can't remember which one was that and which was Burger Chef) was really good, too. Then Mr. Mann (former dean at DeLaura) opened Mann's Jiffy Mart and he had really good chicken. Been a while since I had good fried chicken.
 03/01/2023 03:34 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Dang really? That's disappointing to hear. Couple local favorites have taken a slide since covid.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 03/01/2023 04:01 AM

garcia

Yeah, sad as it is such a cool place. Still has good pie though - had peach one time and coconut cream the other. Both still delicious.
 03/01/2023 11:31 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

WG:
Where is the good fried chicken beachside now?

The Exxon Station on the corner at Ocean Ave intersection in Melbourne Beach. No joke!

Edited: 03/01/2023 at 11:32 AM by matt_t
 03/01/2023 02:44 PM

garcia

It is good, but expensive. I was in there the other day and it was over $10 for four tenders. Godd chicken, but your really have to want it.
 03/01/2023 05:18 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I will have to abstain. Wife is a 73 Satellite grad from off Desoto. I'm a card carrying Satellite Beach needs more chickens and not a motel shirt and sticker founder.
 03/02/2023 02:34 AM

garcia

Interesting. I graduated from SHS in 73, too.
 03/16/2023 07:44 PM

whitey

Joined Forum: 12/03/2011

It passed

Edited: 03/17/2023 at 04:08 AM by whitey
 03/17/2023 06:15 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

It passed.... that's not surprising. But remember, it's a fee, not a tax.

I was right.
 03/17/2023 07:46 AM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Originally posted by: Cole

But remember, it's a fee, not a tax.

I sense sarcasam. So I apologize if I have you wrong. But please explain why you think its a tax?
FORUMS : Surfing : Satellite Beach proposes to charge for parking

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .