Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Oppenheimer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/21/2023 03:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/21/2023 03:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

It seems the only IMAX 70 mm film presentation in Florida is in Fort Lauderdale. Only 19 theaters in the US are showing it in this format, so you could catch cheap flights to San Antonio, Dallas, Atlanta, Nashville, Philly, NYC, or Providence. Digital IMAX will be at CWTheaters West Melbourne and CMX Merritt Square. Also Orlando. The Oppenheimer theater finder seems a bit erratic, so it may be best to switch your location to double-check. https://www.oppenheimermovie.com/tickets/
 07/21/2023 04:06 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

J Robert's son, Peter Robert Oppenheimer, was in my Army Basic Training squad !!! I was 21 when I was drafted and he was about '30 something'. He had enlisted in athe NG or Reserves and had been called up for Basic Training, not "active duty'.

He had a big fight with the DI because his name was "Bobby" (Robert), NOT Peter!!

During one of our first weeks at Ft Knox, just before Christmas 1972, , , , we were all talking about who we were and where we were from, etc. Apollo 17 had just splashed down. So, he was talking with some of the guys about, , , , , "if Dad was not at the door within 5 minutes, They came in with their guns drawn", , , , , ,. Me, "what the fuck?"

Then, to Top it all off, , , , in walks our Company Commander along with a group of officers from the training Battalion and Brigade !!! They wanted to shake Bobby's hand!! WTF??? Then, a Colonel, while shaking Bobby's hand says "I don't care what they say, your father was a Great American" !!! What The Fuck!!!

Who the fuck is Bobby's father??

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 07/21/2023 05:22 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Been waiting for this one. Cillian Murphy was A++ as Tommy Shelby/Peaky Blinders. Wondering if the RUSH classic, Manhattan Project, was used in the soundtrack...
 07/21/2023 05:27 AM

ww

The film's gotten highest ratings from the big-newspaper critics. Don't know if I'll drive all the way to Ft Lauderdale. My last IMAX movie was "Dunkirk" in Georgetown, Washington D.C. I'd found a cheap round trip to Washington to escape Irma.
 07/21/2023 05:52 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

At 3 hours I hope it lives up.

"Hey, where's Cricket?" - Kristi Noem's daughter.
 07/21/2023 07:00 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Merritt Square mall never has a crowd. I'll wait for a weekday matinee showing. I hate hearing people chew popcorn while I'm watching a movie.
 07/21/2023 09:59 AM

ww

I don't think it's playing in Brevard, but the Majestic 11 in Vero will be running the Metropolitan Opera's Akhnaten, a modern thing by Philip Glass. I once watched one of his opera-things live in Portland. It was the slowest music I've ever heard.
 07/21/2023 10:18 AM

Central Floridave

from your post above: "CMX Merritt Square." just checked the Merritt Island Imax movie website. its there.
 07/21/2023 10:26 AM

Central Floridave

Help Me, the wife wants to go see Barbie. I may get stuck on seeing that.
 07/21/2023 10:48 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Just waded my way through the crowd of pink Barbie fans to watch Oppenheimer at the Oaks 10 in Melbourne.

Although this is the NPNR forum, it's hard to discuss the movie w/o politics being a large part of it.

Serious question after watching it is whether anyone can rationally dispute or mock the existence of some form of "deep state" within our government.
 07/22/2023 05:04 AM

ww

"Deep state" in the sense of big intelligence and law enforcement agencies didn't exactly exist in World War II and its aftermath. J. Edgar Hoover did dissuade a whole string of presidents from replacing him, and care has since been taken to ensure that the FBI is relatively non partisan and honest.
 07/22/2023 08:08 PM

Cole

I have a reply, but I'll wait till people have seen it. Don't want to spoil it for those who don't know the story.

It was one of the best films I'm seen in years.

I was right.

Edited: 07/22/2023 at 08:08 PM by Cole
 07/23/2023 02:56 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

And otherwise, , , , , ,

The last time I was in a movie theater was the matinee premier of Forrest Gump.

Forrest Gump is the greatest movie ever made and, as such, no need to go to any others

Dora Hates You

Edited: 07/23/2023 at 02:58 AM by dingpatch
 07/23/2023 09:11 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: Cole
It was one of the best films I'm seen in years.

I'm not going that far, but it was one of very few that would actually lure me into a theater, and that is saying a lot. Definitely worthwhile and definitely not disappointing.

Now, for some reason, I feel compelled to go back and watch Dr. Strangelove again:

07/23/2023 09:53 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Serious question after watching it is whether anyone can rationally dispute or mock the existence of some form of "deep state" within our government.

I was unaware that it was an investigative journalism, documentary.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/24/2023 06:12 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: LBLarry

I was unaware that it was an investigative journalism, documentary.

I think movies like this are mistaken as such.

I hope that it may lead to more people reading real history from primary sources rather than let the entertainment industry spoon feed selected history seen through a dramatic lens. (Not specific criticism on the Oppie movie).

"Hey, where's Cricket?" - Kristi Noem's daughter.
 07/25/2023 11:03 AM

ww

Still haven't been. I might have a chance to see it on 70 mm film IMAX. The film used a reputable recent biography of Oppenheimer as its base. "Original sources" are valuable for teaching historical technique. Finding them can be half the problem. The Manhattan Project, the decisions that led to the bombs being used, and the later panic over "communists" that ruined Oppenheimer's reputation are exceedingly complex, piles of sources, and it's a good idea to find books by experts, even if those might be biased one way or another. I'm poking around in Phillips O'Brien's "How the War Was Won" in which he goes through great mounds of data on military spending priorities and concludes that the Roosevelt-Churchill emphasis on ships and, especially, air power, was crucial. Even the Germans, who never developed a workable big bomber, spent on air and submarines. For them, the war with Stalin was a sideshow. Mass death, but tanks were cheap. One of O'Brien's observations is that Allied control of the air, and lots of bombing and strafing, made it difficult and time consuming to get supplies and personnel from Germany to Normandy. That was very likely sufficient to ensure success, and certainly at a far lower cost than would have been the case with the Germans not hobbled. A pretty good example of revisionist history, and probably somewhat controversial.
 07/25/2023 11:49 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

struggleheimer < barbierama
 07/26/2023 04:50 PM

Central Floridave

I just saw Oppenheimer this afternoon on Imax. It's a great film. Enjoyed it.
 07/26/2023 04:53 PM

Central Floridave

I didn't know this was a thing 'IMAX 70 mm' even after reading ww's post. But, my son said he has tix in Ft Laurderdale to see it next week on IMAX 70 mm.

In my opinion, this movie doesn't need to be seen on Imax. It's more drama and dialogue based. The music is great. I imagine the soundtrack will win an award along with acting. It's pretty good.

If I was to see one of two movies a second time though, I'd see Barbie. The 3 hour run time for Oppenheimer was kind of long but I never was bored in it. Just they could have cut some of the story line out.

The timeline jumping was in and out just about every scene. I saw another friend's review and he said that is the director's style. It never was confusing as they mixed up color and B&W scenes for different time periods.

FORUMS : NPNR : Oppenheimer

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146507 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .