Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: College football.
Topic Summary: Halfway through.
Created On: 10/17/2019 06:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2019 06:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Memphis coach Mike Norvell to FSU. Prob announced after game today.
 12/08/2019 04:51 AM

Central Floridave

The funnest game to watch yesterday was the AAC championship game. Memphis over Cinci. Went down to the final play. Memphis wins! On to the NY6 game.

Does Norvell coach in that bowl game? Like Scott Frost did after he left UCF?

LSU dominant. Clemson killed. Ohio State over Wiscy. Oklahoma over Baylor. That is prob your top 4.
 12/08/2019 05:35 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yes, LSU Dominated.

And, well, , , , the other week, at the drinking hole, one of the "non-southern" types was ragging on about how he was sick of Alabama ruling and such, and complaining that it was all some sort of conspiracy that the likes of Ohio, Nebraska, Oklahoma, et al, were always getting a bumm deal by not being ranked higher, , , , ,!

"Ya, all of that could matter but, as long as they are not playing in the ACC or the SEC, none of that could ever matter."

He was not very pleased by my remark, , , ,! LOL. LOL

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 12/08/2019 12:41 PM

Central Floridave

UCF vs Marshall Tampa Gasparilla Bowl, Monday Dec 23rd 230pm. Just bought tix. An excuse to take that monday off before xmas.
 12/16/2019 04:49 AM

Central Floridave

LSU Fans Have A Message For UCF About QB Joe Burrow
http://thespun.com/college-foo...sage-ucf-qb-joe-burrow
 01/14/2020 04:50 AM

Central Floridave

UCF ends season in the top 25. Well deserved at #24. Finishes the season with a bowl win over Marshall and 10-3. 2020 season looks pretty good. We lost a couiple coaches but added some good up-n-comers. Freshman Qb moves up a one year who broke all freshman Qb records at UCF including Daunte Culpepper. Randy Shannon still DC. Josh Heupel rumors of going to Baylor are just that rumors. We coming back in 2020. (knock on wood)

01/14/2020 04:55 AM

Central Floridave

AP Poll

1 LSU (15-0)
2 Clemson (14-1)
3 Ohio State (13-1)
4 Georgia (12-2)
5 Oregon (12-2)
6 Florida (11-2)
7 Oklahoma (12-2)
8 Alabama (11-2)
9 Penn State (11-2)
10 Minnesota (11-2)
11 Wisconsin (10-4)
12 Notre Dame (11-2)
13 Baylor (11-3)
14 Auburn (9-4)
15 Iowa (10-3)
16 Utah (11-3)
17 Memphis (12-2)
18 Michigan (9-4)
19 Appalachian State (13-1)
20 Navy (11-2)
21 Cincinnati (11-3)
22 Air Force (11-2)
23 Boise State (12-2)
24 UCF (10-3)
25 Texas (8-5)

Others receiving votes:
Texas A&M 54, Florida Atlantic 46, Washington 39, Virginia 28, USC 16, San Diego State 13, Arizona State 12, SMU 10, Tennessee 8, California 6, Louisiana Tech 2, Kentucky 2, Kansas State 2, Louisiana-Lafayette 2
 01/14/2020 05:05 AM

Central Floridave

I think Minnesota and Penn State should be switched. Minnesota beat Penn State along with both teams winning their bowl game. Gophers against Auburn, Penn State against Memphis.

Gators at #6 is encouraging for them going into next year.

4 American conference teams in top 25. Navy, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF. What is up with this stupid power 5 group of 5 division. So stupid. They need to drop that crap. it ruins college football in my opinion, especially since my team is looked at as inferior due to it. IT IS NOT FAIR.

Appy State. Watch out for them.

Texas with 5 losses. I guess beating Utah in the bowl game helped them, but they were not that impressive this year. Utah neither. Playing in weak pac12.

LSU was probably the best college football ever. Hard to dispute 15-0 and running thru the SEC like they did then beating Clemson who hasn't lost in two years.

Joe Burrow with the Heisman...So sorry that he has to go ruin his career at the Bengals.

Wish Dolphins could get him.

That concluded 2020 College Football season . 150 years of this crap.

Go Knights!
 01/14/2020 05:55 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Well again, while at The Drinking Hole watching the first half of last night's game, it came to the point when a transplant from up North started going off about being fed up with "Southern" football and the "Polls" that disrespected all the Good teams like Ohio, N Dame, and such. I really got him worked up when I told him that all of that was only interesting and that IF such teams really wanted to be recognized, they should play in the ACC and the SEC. He was damn ready to move to a different seat!!! Ha Ha, LOL, LOL!

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 01/14/2020 at 06:40 AM by dingpatch
 01/14/2020 06:37 AM

Central Floridave

There are 130 Div 1 NCAA teams. 126 of those team's fans hate the current system every year! The 4 team invitational playoff does seem slanted, and it is.

I wish they would go to a NFL model and have a playoff where you have to win your conference to get in. That would make it more interesting in my opinion.
 01/14/2020 11:08 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

It was way more interesting in the old days. It is impossible to get a true national champion that nobody argues about. No matter how many teams there are, the first team left out bitches about it (legitimately). Basketball started with eight, then 16, etc and now they are at about 68 and still teams bitch. There just isn't enough difference between team 4 and team 5 or team 8 and team 9 or team 68 and team 69 to objectively leave them out. When I was younger all the conferences had a tie in to a bowl and teams were happy to be going there because they had to be a champ to get there (or at least very highly thought of, the exception being ND, but, don't get me started on them!). Now, as you say, only four teams are happy and only four fan bases support the bowls. Who cares if there is a no. 1? In the days of the AP (writers) and UPI (coaches), it was not unusual to have two no. 1 teams and both teams were happy. We fans paid attention no matter where our team went because we were happy to be going to a major bowl; it meant something. Plus, the big orgy of football starting on New Year's Eve (Sugar Bowl) and ending on NY night (Orange Bowl) was an event. People stopped by, you had a big spread and you clicked back and forth between games. None of that happens now. We watch them alone and are pissed off that our team "only" went to the Sugar Bowl (or whatever). It TRULY was better.

BTW, Dave, "especially since my team is looked at as inferior due to it" says it all. Methinks you would be more than happy if UCF had gone to the Big 12 and they were in the mix AND you wouldn't have given a crap about any of the teams left behind. The real problem is with the idea that we need a "true" no. 1. It cannot happen unless we scrap all of the conferences and the history of college football and start a playoff system at the beginning of the year. This system SUCKS because the premise behind it is totally f-ed up.
 01/15/2020 04:11 AM

Central Floridave

I was a college football fan before I went to UCF. My dad played for woodie hayes at Ohio State and was president of the alumni association. Thus, I lived it. Going to UCF in the 80s the football team was Div 1AA. They then went Div 1a and I've seen the mountain top from the valley. Now that UCF is in the mix but still can't get to the Apex I have a unique view on why. ESPN propaganda. It works. They keep repeating how conferences are inferior to others. Its been ingrained and is a unconscious biased that is stuck with people. Sort of like when you always think a Doctor or Airline pilot is Male. I still get stabs from 2017's UCF National Championship claim. My retort is "WHO BEAT US? and what other sport do you go undefeated but end up #7?" That usually works unless you are talking to a Bama fan. I then have to tell them they were selected and didn't even win their division in their conference. Don't matter to them though. They think they earned it, BUT AGAIN, LOST. UCF didn't. But, whatever, I'm glad UCF is in the mix and in people's head. I hope we go undefeated again in 2020 to shake up the system. It needs shaking. Its boring seeing the same ole teams in the 4 team invitational due to they are teams that have more fans than anyone else.

NCAA basketball cherishes a Cinderella team...Football shits on them...

01/15/2020 12:33 PM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

NCAA basketball can have a tournament with 68 teams (and there are still unhappy schools at not getting in), NCAA football cannot. There have been lots of undefeated teams who played a second tier schedule and were not rewarded for it (e.g., Penn St in the 60s and 70s) . I know it is frustrating, but, the AAC (and, I would argue the ACC) do not have first tier competition. The good teams in those conferences play 3 or 4 tough games a year which is a TREMENDOUS advantage. It allows extra time to plan/practice and recover from injuries for those tough games. Just ask Booby Bowden. Everybody pointed to his out of conference games, but, those were the ONLY games that presented any challenge to them. His conference was comprised of a bunch of basketball schools and he could walk thru them while prepping for Miamuh, UF and, occasionally, a third good team. My argument is that we should give up this quest to come up with a system that everybody accepts. It is just not possible. You just can't get enough teams in without destroying college footbal. I am NOT defending the BCS by any means. IT SUCKS. If we didn't have this crap system, you could be very happy with UCF's success instead of spending so much energy beefing about a terrible system. We would all be much happier. And, sorry to say, going undefeated does NOT make a team National Champ. Get over it. It is only a marketing slogan, like "Make America Great Again". It has NO basis in reality or objectivity.
 01/16/2020 06:45 AM

Central Floridave

NCAA football cannot? Sure they can. FCS NCAA football has been doing it for Decades.
Lookee here:
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2019

Also, The BCS is dead. And, the one and only year UCF was in a BCS conference, it won the BCS bowl game and went 12-1. Beat Big12 Champion and beat Baylor in 2014 Fiesta Bowl.

And, btw, UCF went undefeated TWO YEARS IN A ROW (2017/2018) and still didn't sniff the CFP invitational playoff.

Also, btw, the All time series between UCF and Bama is on UCF side. 1-0. Also, the last time UCF played Bama, Auburn, AND Georgia...UCF won.

But, somehow, we are inferior due perception.

That is why I'm pulling for another undefeated season for 2020. The system needs to change. People's unconscious biased really hurts Cinderella teams like UCF. It is fed by ESPN and the power brokers. I just showed you results on the field (WHICH SHOULD MATTER THE MOST) vs perception that other teams are better. I'll stick with this reality thanks.

01/16/2020 06:57 AM

Central Floridave

Put this in your pipe and smoke it also.

NCAA recognizes UCF's national championship in addition to Alabama's
Updated Mar 07, 2019;Posted Aug 27, 2018

UCF, after all the pomp and circumstance, is a national champion.

According to the 2018 record book released last week, the Knights are listed - with Alabama as a team that finished the season No. 1.

https://www.al.com/sports/2018/08/ncaa_recognizes_ucfs_national.html

Thus, Put an asterisk on it, but Co-National Champions.

I fully support UCF claim for a national Championship in 2017 and proud they stuck a thorn in the unjust system. In 2018 after we went undefeated, our Heisman candidate Qb got hurt the week before the conference championship game. If he was healthy I'm pretty convinced we could have beaten LSU in 2019 Fiesta Bowl. We only lost to LSU by a touchdown with a freshman Qb starting his 2nd game. Yes, UCF was that good in 2017 and 2018. The problem the national media wasn't watching UCF. I was. The 2017 team was one of the best football teams I've ever watched. Yes, I'm biased I admit that, but can't dispute undefeated along with beating Auburn in the bowl game. Auburn just happened to have beat the two teams that were in the CFP invitational game, Georgia vs Bama. UCF ook a step back in 2019. But, dear football gawds, will be back on top in 2020. (prob just cursed UCF with that)

Onto college basketball, and NFL final games.

Edited: 01/16/2020 at 07:06 AM by Central Floridave
 01/16/2020 07:02 AM

Central Floridave

Ok, one more... Look at the final AP top 25. Perceptions are changing.

There are 4 American teams in the top 25. UCF, Navy, Cinci, and Memphis. How many ACC teams? One, Clemson. How many Big12 teams? 2. Oklahoma & Texas (should not be top 25 w/5 losses). Pac12? 2, Oregon & Utah (wasn't too long ago the Utes weren't in a 'power 5' conference) & Why is Utah ranked so much higher than Texas? Didn't I just watch Texas woop up on them 38-10?

In other words, drop the polls, expand the playoffs and let results on the field determine the National Champion.

Edited: 01/16/2020 at 07:20 AM by Central Floridave
 01/16/2020 07:09 AM

OceanTerra

Joined Forum: 09/13/2011

Who's the ONLY FL team to be ranked inside the Top 25 the last three consecutive seasons?

Hint: It's the same team that "woke" the mighty Joe Burrow and the LSU Tigers

The times they are a changin'
 01/17/2020 06:59 AM

Central Floridave

Great article/interview with UCF Athletic Director.

UCF AD Danny White isn't worried about losing Josh Heupel to other coaching jobs

http://www.orlandosentinel.com...6ii3tze5ir4-story.html
 01/17/2020 07:03 AM

Central Floridave

There is now a 3,000 person waiting list to buy season tix for UCF. this is from another orlando sentiinel article from today:

UCF averaged an announced crowd of 43,388 fans during its six home games last season, with Spectrum Stadium at 99% capacity, according to NCAA figures.

White and his staff have been looking at ways to accommodate the increasing ticket demand at a stadium that currently has a seating capacity of 44,206.

"I'm still working behind-the-scenes on plans to expand the stadium," said White. "It's the next step in our growth as a football program."

Sleeping Giant is awake!
FORUMS : NPNR : College football.

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .