Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need rain but kind of hate to wish for it
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/18/2020 07:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/24/2020 10:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

"biosolids"

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 04/25/2020 07:45 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Probably is CAFO waste in Basinger. The human sludge is all coming up to the St. Johns Basin since around 2013.

04/25/2020 01:56 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've worked on human waste sewers and the scent or stench is the same.

I was right.
 05/02/2020 12:06 PM

scombrid

Had decent rain Friday before last. St. Augustine lawns were practically glowing by early last week so you have to figure they were fertilized prior to the rain. Water in our area of the lagoon is looking more like it did in January after the rainy December. Not blooming but definitely greener and not nearly as clear as a week or two ago.

05/03/2020 10:43 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: scombrid

Had decent rain Friday before last. St. Augustine lawns were practically glowing by early last week so you have to figure they were fertilized prior to the rain. Water in our area of the lagoon is looking more like it did in January after the rainy December. Not blooming but definitely greener and not nearly as clear as a week or two ago.

My weeds loved the rain, but the grass itself didn't seem to excited by it, but then again I don't fertilize.

Speaking of grass, what's the growth rate of our local sea grasses? Can they recover if we get a decent run of clearer water?

I was right.
 05/05/2020 02:20 PM

Cole

I biked down to the river scouting for finger mullet. The lawns looked wonderful; deep green, fluffy, well manicured. The water was too murky to see any mullet.

I was right.
 05/06/2020 11:33 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Moves through saturated soils or bubbles up and moves in surface water in an Irma type situation. DEP hired these guys to do an analysis. Within 200m of water is a major criteria for loading. . That water can be the canals all through Palm Bay or the lagoon itself. Too many septic tanks too close to drainage are a major cause of Sykes Creek always looking like pfffffftttttttt.

I did a much smaller study for a school project on Little Lake Fairview, which is surrounded by septic systems. I was attempting to illustrate the influence of the systems on WQ. Going back 10 years, I couldn't see any noticeable difference in WQ with relation to growth of the area. Having said that, all of the houses that would be in the ROI, are all >$250,000 and from what I could tell, have modern septic systems.

OBVIOUSLY...my study was very basic and based solely on data (septic systems and WQ) that was provided on various websites, none of which I collected or verified myself. It was a GIS project and not a water quality study.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 05/11/2020 09:21 AM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: Cole

And when Irma put everything from Immokalee to Lehigh Acres to Bonita Springs under water the local loading to the Caloosahatchee was insane. The folks over there want to blame everything on Lake O discharges but it was lake O discharge rolling on top of a bunch of swamped sept systems and sewer overflows.

They dump "reclaimed" (they have an official title for it but I forget) sewage on the sod fields next to Oak Creek on Micco Bluff Road in Bassinger. The smell is anything but reclaimed. Oak Creek flows directly into the Kissimmee River just north of highway 98. That area has cost me more pairs of shoes than I care to remember. Nasty stuff.

Shoe saver that is an all day boot for comfort. I have a short pair and a high pair Of Bogs Boots. Super comfortable but hot in August.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

06/17/2020 08:09 PM

scombrid

Little rain a couple of weeks ago. Middle irl looks like shit. Lots of bioluminescense though. Pyrodinium mostly.

06/18/2020 06:45 AM

Cole

Residual Application Site is what it's called next to Oak Creek.

As per the boots, they are so nasty that I can't keep them in the cab, so they take a beating in the back of the truck. A few times forgetting them in the rain and it's new boot time too. lol

I was right.
 06/21/2020 08:06 AM

scombrid

Lagoon is tea colored from Rockledge to T'ville. Hog Chokers, Puffers, and Spade Fish were swimming lethargically at the surface yesterday morning. There were a scattering of dead Toad Fish floating. I think it was likely overnight oxygen depletion. The Pyrsodinium creates a BOD at night and the shading of the thick caulerpa carpet probably isn't helping. Sad all it took was one little shot of rain to chuck us right back in to shit water territory.

06/22/2020 06:37 AM

Cole

I wonder how many yards were coated in fertilizer when rainy days were forecast? Gotta load up before the summertime "ban."

I was right.
 06/22/2020 03:31 PM

scombrid

Low grade fish kill confirmed. Classic oxygen depletion. Heavy plankton is present and Friday was overcast all day. DO bottomed out early Saturday Morning. Lethargic fish observed on Saturday. Dead floaters observed on Monday. Puffers, hogchokers, and a few big Black Drum bloated and floated. Dead crabs on the bottom where you could see the bottom. Seems it was largely demersal things that got caught. Most mobile fish got out of town and escaped the kill zone. Water is still dark tea colored which indicates that the pyrodinium is still thick and active. Not much hope for any seagrass that was trying to elbow its way into the caulerpa and bare sand.

06/23/2020 02:26 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Hey scombrid, north IRL, Rockledge shoreline area? All the Kilroys are are in Banana but show a pretty good sag night of 20th, nothing below 30% though. On a separate note, I'm on work from home and have noticed a couple neighbors fertilizing. Maybe their service wouldn't do it for them during the ban? Haha, ugh.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 06/23/2020 05:06 AM

scombrid

Yeah, IRL between the spoil islands across from Park Avenue and Cocoa Village. Lethargic fish were widely scattered near shore out to the channel but weren't abundant anywhere. Dead stuff was drifted into shore by Sunday and Monday morning. The huge tarpon are around and they were gulping air in between smashing tiny baits out in the channel. Too bad there is no longer a logger over here.

06/23/2020 05:21 AM

scombrid

I looked at the station up by the Bee Line. Shows ~1.25 mg/l early Saturday AM. Classic overcast weather fleeting sag. Saturations >150% during that really sunny weather between the 8th and 15th are pretty crazy.

06/24/2020 05:21 AM

Cole

Both rivers are still good off Pineda. The Indian is slightly better, but both were clear and lively. I even saw some Thread Fin next to one of the bridges.

I was right.
 06/27/2020 06:04 AM

scombrid

Yeah IRL does look nice Pineda to Eau Gallie. You can see the difference in the O2 data too.

08/14/2020 01:59 PM

scombrid

IRL in the Cocoa/Rockledge area looks like Lake Jesup this week. Had a fish kill Wednesday morning when oxygen went below 1 mg/l. That is the second fish kill in the last 6 weeks.

08/16/2020 08:09 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Heavy rain north and south of Vero, not in town
FORUMS : NPNR : Need rain but kind of hate to wish for it

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .