Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Bike shortage.
Topic Summary: Its a worldwide phenomena
Created On: 07/07/2020 01:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/07/2020 01:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've been bike shopping the past couple weeks and also getting my mtb a tune up at bob's bike shop. When I dropped my bike off at Bob's there were about 8 employees all bustling around and super busy.

But, wow, who would of thought. There is a bike shortage. I'm waiting it out and let the market catch up and the 2021 models! Google Bike Shortage. Many articles. I experience it the past two weeks. My son works at target and he says even the cheaper bikes are sold out and none in stock. I've been in 3 bike stores and online shopping. Interesting phenomena with the pandemic. There are bikes available but very thin stock and options. Servicing on a bike takes at least a week.

Pee Wee Herman would be proud!
 07/07/2020 03:16 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Apparently there is a coin shortage too..

-------------------------
 07/07/2020 03:21 PM

Central Floridave

LOL at coin shortage. Saw that on a sign the other day. I was like wha?

And, here I was worried about having enough toilet paper....
 07/07/2020 05:02 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

Lol. I work at an outdoor outfitter shop in the area. Bikes I bought for under 300 pre tariffs now sell for a grand. No bikes, lotsa parts.
Got an old aluminum frame beater? We can completely rebuild them.
I'm a water guy, but bikes can be fun...

spindrift

07/07/2020 06:31 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Bicycle Factories

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

07/07/2020 09:14 PM

Cole

I guess I need to start drying off before I ride mine home from a surf.

I was right.
 07/08/2020 06:19 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Yes, to rebuild or repair a bike is not too much of a challenge.

Now, on the other side of the equation, , , ,. Back in January I ordered a cheap 3 wheeler on Ebay, only $207 with FREE shipping! Had to assemble it. The same bike, from the same seller, is now $339!

And now, I have begun the process of putting an electric motor on my 3 wheeler. I will create a new thread to document my findings and progress.

Dora Hates You
 07/08/2020 06:34 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

There is a shortage on any kind of fitness equipment, including bikes. Everyone is buying home gyms, bikes, cardio equipment, etc. It took a while, but I was finally able to get a squat rack w/pull up bar, j-hooks, etc. that I can use for basically anything i need (bench, barbell rows, squat, etc). Rogue apparently diverted quite a bit of their production facility to making PPE and such. UPS guy that delivered it yesterday said mine was the 4th one he had delivered that day frpm rogue just in south patrick. LOL. Now if I can only find plates to lift, haha. Nobody has them.
 07/08/2020 07:59 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Yup. My GF and I wanted to purchase a couple beach cruisers.. Not happening. I was in Wallyworld the other day and the entire bike section is empty.
 07/08/2020 06:23 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

I've been bike shopping the past couple weeks and also getting my mtb a tune up at bob's bike shop. When I dropped my bike off at Bob's there were about 8 employees all bustling around and super busy.

But, wow, who would of thought. There is a bike shortage. I'm waiting it out and let the market catch up and the 2021 models! Google Bike Shortage. Many articles. I experience it the past two weeks. My son works at target and he says even the cheaper bikes are sold out and none in stock. I've been in 3 bike stores and online shopping. Interesting phenomena with the pandemic. There are bikes available but very thin stock and options. Servicing on a bike takes at least a week.

Pee Wee Herman would be proud!

What kinda MTB are you looking for??

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 07/08/2020 06:51 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I gots 5. No shortage here. Rode to work today, tomorrow, maybe Friday too unless BW breaks at dawn.
 07/09/2020 05:36 AM

Central Floridave

"What kinda MTB are you looking for??"

Right now I still have my old Trek Marlin that I've put at least 100,000 miles on it since. Been riding a lot with it. But, now in Bob's Bicycle shop for a well deserved tune up. That will continue to be my trail bike until 2021 newer models & can get back in shape for longer rides/Winter time in Florida. & convince the wife I need to spend more money for an upgrade.

I've been googlin' a lot and been on a ton of bike manufacturers website, reviews, and physically gone into local bike shops. I always get sticker shock though.

But, working my way up to it! My 2nd home in Sunrise Florida is only a mile or two away from Markham park and I as i've researched there are tons of bike trails in South Florida that need me on it. Maybe my Trek Marlin will be the bike of the past and future. It has served me well, but I know there are better bikes out there. Time will tell and its on my side as right now I don't have a ton of time for off road biking but getting close to retirement, thus, my bike time will go up .

My friend is currently in Crested Butte, Co and just did the 401 trail. He is building a new house there and thus, I plan on visiting. 20 miles of all mountainous downhill on the 401. I'll eventually work my way up there! 5 years or so. But, until then, keep biking and I'll weed wack at Wickham park and keep that trail going as it ain't bad for a brevard trail and stay in shape.

Bike ON!

07/09/2020 06:14 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I was in the Infinity Bike Shop on Hibiscus last week; another bike-free zone.

I don't know about the regular used bike supply on FB and CL right now, but I was looking for a used recumbent (after wrecking my piriformis and sciatic on a road bike), and only found a couple decent ones in the entire state. I picked up the closest one to home. It's kinda fun, but takes some getting used to. Definitely more comfy than a traditional road/triathlon bike. Did my first 15-mile ride on Tuesday. My ass and lower back thanked me when I was done.
 07/09/2020 06:26 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

CentoDavo ..... if you are on the bookoffaces, some good deals on lightly used whip can be found here:

Central Florda MTB Classifieds

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.

Edited: 07/09/2020 at 06:27 PM by LBLarry
 07/10/2020 05:22 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

You can add Kayaks to the list. My neighbor has been scouring Brevard for a pair and nothin, nathan, nada..
 07/10/2020 05:25 AM

Central Floridave

thanks for the link. If anything I can learn what is out there until I do drop in and buy one. . I hope to get my bike back today. 7 days in service. what are the odds its done?!?
 07/11/2020 07:04 AM

Central Floridave

I got my bike back yesterday and went riding at Wickham for the first time in a few months. Back in the saddle! I also made a mistake and my bike is a Trek Gary Fisher 29". and not marlin.

Edited: 07/11/2020 at 07:05 AM by Central Floridave
 07/12/2020 09:54 AM

Central Floridave

Turns out Fisher bike is a Marlin. Slowly learning these things.

So far I've done Wickham park south loop three times. Getting back in shape.

I got to ride my friends $5k specialized bike for a little bit. Wow, what a difference. its almost cheating and like riding on a cloud. I'm eventually going to buy a better bike. For now, get in shape with the older trek hard tail and work my way up to better trails & bikes.

07/12/2020 12:09 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

No shortage here. I find one and flip it every few weeks.
 07/12/2020 12:11 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: Central Floridave I got to ride my friends $5k specialized bike for a little bit. Wow, what a difference. its almost cheating and like riding on a cloud. I'm eventually going to buy a better bike. For now, get in shape with the older trek hard tail and work my way up to better trails & bikes.
i rode some of those high end ones @ with LBL on scene and the difference is like pacer vs a Porsche. Finding the 5K to finance one can be a challenge for a lotta folks. but DAM! what performance!
FORUMS : NPNR : Bike shortage.

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .