Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Tropical atolls and rats.
Topic Summary: Remedial conservation.
Created On: 10/09/2020 04:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/09/2020 04:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

http://www.bbc.com/future/arti...got-rid-of-their-rats

Very interesting read.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

10/10/2020 05:46 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

"they tracked a rat with a radio collar, only to find the signal led them to a rattle snake - which had eaten the rat."

Eek! Rats suck. I had an infestation last summer. I did everything, traps, bait, remove food. Eventually what worked was getting a cat. My cat climbs high up in my oaks and hangs out. She doesn't kill them as she is never out at night, but just the scent of the cat scares them away. I do still have rats and I see them in my trap occasionally, but the infestation has moved on.

Last summer and for a few months I was like bill murray in kaddyshack movie hunting the mole. I went OCD on them.

Also, wanna give a shout out to RatX. That poison you can get at hardware stores. It works. Only kills rodents. They do eat it and they do die from it. However, they wise up on it eventually and stop eating it. Same with traps. Once you trap one or two rats it is rare you are going to catch more after that. They learn. You have to move the traps, try different baits, etc. Also, before you set the traps where you know rats are, put the traps out unset first so they think it is just part of the surroundings and not a danger. Then third or 4th night set them. Rats are nocturnal and follow the same traveling paths every night. They also send scouts (baby rats) out to look for more food sources. If those scouts don't came back from a new path, they don't go that way anymore. They also need a water source and must drink everyday. So if you can eliminate a fresh water source for them that helps (difficult to do).

Rodent as a species are very smart and you can't eradicate them, just have to convince them to live elsewhere.

cool read, thanks for the link.
 11/01/2020 01:01 PM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

Both good reads lol. Thanks guys!

Makes me remember reading the Rats of Nimh.

-------------------------
Time and tide wait for no one.....
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .