Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: College Classes Online
Topic Summary: should tuition be the same
Created On: 12/11/2020 07:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2020 07:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

OK, this is a gripe of mine and I'm sure there are other parents out there with college age kids who are having to take their classes online due to CV19. My son had one "in person" class at UCF this last term which went to online after a student reported to administration that the instructor briefly went mask-less in an auditorium size room. Needless to say my son was bummed out as he was stoked to be attending engineering curriculum in person. So all three of his classes were totally online and the subject matter was such that in person instruction would have certainly been more effective in teaching the students. In person verses online instruction are not equal. So should the school be charging the same for online as they do for in person? I don't think so.
 12/11/2020 11:40 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

They are doing it it whether you think so or not. It's called a money grab. Discuss,
 12/11/2020 03:11 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

flashback to when I left the master's program at UF to come to the space coast and spend more time in the water and get paid and take classes "online" to finish my degree. This consisted of me going to a building twice a week after work that had VHS tapes shipped to it where I would plunk them in and watch. Same price as the regular joe's. Things never change, but I would guess the tech did get more convenient.
 12/12/2020 04:17 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

Not directly related to the online verses in person topic, but tuition cost have exploded in large part because of the student loan programs. The students are really just a "mark" and proxy for the institutions providing the loans and the school receiving the proceeds. These loans are predatory in my mind, for a very young adult to be saddled with so much debt is just wrong from so many angles. Years ago while checking the surf at 2nd Light I struck up a conversation with a young gentlemen who was a dentist. He confided in me that his student loan balance was over $400K!!! And the cherry on top for the lenders is that this debt can't be discharged via bankruptcy. I think the current total student loan debt is somewhere around 1.5 trillion....total insanity.
 12/12/2020 05:44 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

A woman on NPR the other day said she is 62 and still paying student loans. When you pay student loans with social security, there is a problem.

-------------------------
I was right.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .