Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Water supply lines
Topic Summary: Sink, toilet, etc
Created On: 01/03/2021 08:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2021 08:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I had a happy outcome on Christmas Eve that potentially saved me tens of thousands of dollars that I want to pass on. My daughter came down to make mashed potatoes and decided to run all the peels down my garbage disposal which, of course, jammed it up. "Great", thinks I, "just what I need, a plumbing job on Christmas Eve". In looking under the sink, my other daughter saw what turned out to be "aneurisms" in the faucet supply lines. The braided stainless steel supply lines had rusted through in several places on each supply line with several having the black rubber lining bulging out. They were not far from blowing, which had cost a friend of mine $120K (and 6 months) in repairs when it happened to him when he was gone for a weekend. He had to replace his carpets, cabinets, drywall, etc to bring his house back to normal. My sink was only 9 years old and, unfortunately (for Moen, which has a lifetime guarantee), the lines were integrated into the faucet so they have to give me a new faucet. But, I also checked my other sinks and toilets and two of them also had rust beginning to degrade the braiding. They, too, were under 10 years old. (I had replaced them because of the many, many blow out issues with the poly lines that were originally installed in 1988. If you have these lines, replace them now, but, don't figure the SS will last forever; it won't. Inspect them regularly.)
 01/03/2021 09:35 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

When I bought the expensive stainless, I figured I was done for good. You have shown me that ain't the case!

Thanks, I'm gonna check them now.

-------------------------
I was right.
 01/03/2021 10:19 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I have it added it to my "annual task list" that I do each Christmas week along with garage door/opener PM, HVAC PM, drier vent stack cleaning, solar hot water system PM and dishwasher filter cleaning. When my kids were in school, I would get up that week and do one task each day and be done before they were up. Then off we would go to play.
FORUMS : NPNR : Water supply lines

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .