Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Gators not in Phil Steele's preseason top 25
Topic Summary: Ranked #27.
Created On: 07/20/2021 02:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/20/2021 02:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Trouble in paradise?
 07/20/2021 09:14 PM

johnnyboy

I have them winning 8 games this year. Maybe 9.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/21/2021 03:59 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Phil who?
 07/22/2021 09:42 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Now that's good stuff
 08/04/2021 09:08 AM

Central Floridave

08/04/2021 07:19 PM

johnnyboy

That's a bit high. But who knows? Emory might be blossoming under Mullen's direction. This was the paradigm for trask and he was second fiddle to Frank's until Frank's got injured and trask was able to step up huge.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/05/2021 03:21 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Mullen has a rep as a QB guru. I think Trask/Franks puts the lie to that. Spurrier would have plucked Trask out of the depths of the depth chart just as he did Shane Matthews whereas Mullen stuck with Franks way too long. I also am not at all impressed with Jones's performance when he subbed in. He can't seem to pass and doesn't run very strongly either. He seems to be lost at the beginning of each play. It makes me wonder if he is just a transition player, which also makes me wonder why Mullen doesn't have another strong QB in the pipeline. If he is such a guru, why aren't QBs lining up to play for him? Mullen has never impressed me and I can't see him ever rising to the top of the SEC. He may win an East title or two, but, I don't think he strikes fear into anyone.
 08/05/2021 08:24 AM

Central Floridave

That Sept 18th date is looming. Bama in the Swamp and at 3:30pm. They have two tune up games prior (FAU and USF). Hope they can knock off bama. Can't wait for football season. Practice started this week.

08/05/2021 10:19 AM

johnnyboy

They will not be knocking off Bama. Not anytime soon either. I agree with you Garcia, Mullen kept Franks way past the point of knowing. It was interesting to see Franks take his game to Arkansas. It went about the same there too. He's good, he will not ever be more than good. As for Emory, he did throw some good passes so he's physically capable but his training and decisionmaking will be on full display with Bama.

08/05/2021 10:44 AM

garcia

Anything can happen on any Saturday as we have seen many times, but, I think the Gators best hope is that Bama suffers heatstroke. That's always a possibility in Gainesville in Aug/Sept, esp since the visitors are on the east sideline (facing west) while the Gators will be in the shade (at least in the second half). Mullen ought to increase those odds by laying down Doug's rug on top of the natural turf for this game. That would add another 25-30 deg down on the field. (I played on it as a freshman and it was hotter than anything I've ever played on.) If I was betting I would give the points, no matter how many. Bama will be fired up after the closeness of the SEC championship last year; they will show no mercy and the Gators are young at key positions.

The word on why Mullen stayed so long with Franks is that the players loved him. Not a good enough reason for me, but, I don't make a billion $$/year. Franks only pass was 45+. Anything under that was wasted, but he sure could hit that one. I fail to understand why Mullen, being a QB genius, can't teach his QBs to hit a receiver on the run. They have to stop and catch every single pass. SOS would never have a QB who couldn't do that. He expected his receivers to be on a dead run when the ball got there and then turn it on. (He would have had Trask starting as a sophomore. Accuracy and smarts were what he looked for, not a guy who could throw it 65 yards on one knee.) Drives me crazy.
 08/05/2021 11:40 AM

Central Floridave

I've been in the swamp in september in the middle of the day. Hottest I've ever felt, loudest stadium I've ever been in as well. Gator's definitely have a home field advantage there.
 08/06/2021 03:18 AM

garcia

It's even hotter down on the field because the field is below grade. When they built the stadium, they dug a big hole for the field and used the fill around the edges to brace the stands. The top of the north end zone (until the endzone expansions in the 80s and 90s) was even with the road and the bleachers on the south side were only a little bit above grade. That made it bad enough, but now, with the expansions on both end zones raising the seats well above grade, all breezes are blocked. When I was a freshman (in 73), we all played frisbee on it. (It had artificial turf, aka Doug's Rug, so the school figured it was no harm to let students on it.) The thermals from Doug's Rug and the lack of a breeze made them fly forever. A great frisbee venue, but, it sucked for pickup football - hot as hell and rug burns galore.
 08/06/2021 06:30 AM

Central Floridave

Cool. Did you play ultimate? I played in many Ultimate tournaments in Gainesville as they hosted some great ones in the 80s and 90s.

My sister-n-law lived in Gainesville and Husband was a professor there. So, I spent a lot of time there. In and around the swamp. Then there was the time UCF played the Gators in their National Championship run...got blanked 42-0...Tebow's first game. That was the first time I was wearing UCF gear in the swamp and we got so abused. Comical actually. Even in the 4th quarter while we were getting gator stomped they were still abusing us. I was like wow. No breaks. We were gator bait for sure.
 08/06/2021 08:40 AM

garcia

Gator fans turned into entitled a-holes in the 90s after Spurrier started his run. I saw them play Md in the Orange Bowl and they were abusing the Md fans. The Md fans got them though when they said (after listening good naturedly for way too long), "Look, you can't ruin our day, we're happy to be here. Where were you supposed to be?" Md had been picked near the bottom of the ACC and were in a big 5 bowl. UF had been no. 1 and destined for the Rose Bowl (site of the NC) when they lost the last game to Tennessee (who was not great). Served them right. We were happy and appreciative of wins. These kids now think they are the shits. Dan Jenkins had it right - "The arrogance of Notre Dame and the tradition of Wake Forest".
 08/06/2021 09:12 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

I dunno, G...seems a little...... subjective....amirite?
 08/06/2021 10:21 AM

garcia

Been a Gator fan since the early 60s, lived there for almost 7 years and been a pretty close follower the whole time. Yes, all opinions are subjective, is based on years of experience.
 08/06/2021 09:08 PM

johnnyboy

Been a fan for not quite as long. I would love to see an undefeated season before I die but that's not happening any time soon.

08/07/2021 04:27 AM

garcia

No undefeated seasons with Mullen as HBC. The SEC is too tough for anybody and will only get tougher unless you get a one-off like Saban; he is unique. When he retires in 10 years, there may be somebody else who can pull it off (but it won't be Mullen). Or, maybe the Gators can go to the ACC or the Big 12 (now that Ok and Tx are leaving). That might give them a chance.
 08/08/2021 06:56 AM

garcia

Or to the AAC. (Alright Dave, the gauntlet has been tossed down. Over to you!)
 08/12/2021 01:35 PM

Central Floridave

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida cornerback and projected starter Jaydon Hill will miss the season after tearing the ACL in his left knee, an injury coach Dan Mullen called a "massive disappointment."
FORUMS : NPNR : Gators not in Phil Steele's preseason top 25

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .