Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Miami fires Manny Diaz with Oregon coach Mario Cristobal expected to fill Hurricanes' vacancy
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/06/2021 08:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/06/2021 08:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Miami fires Manny Diaz with Oregon coach Mario Cristobal expected to fill Hurricanes' vacancy

https://www.cbssports.com/coll...ll-hurricanes-vacancy/
 12/06/2021 08:02 AM

johnnyboy

I remember when he started and the extravagant optimism that came with him. His backstory was awesome but the fans and the alums wanted an immediate return to greatness.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/06/2021 11:20 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

It is conceivably possible that The U could have handled this worse ...... but i'll be damned if I know how.

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 12/07/2021 05:19 PM

Central Floridave

D'Angelo: Miami Hurricanes need Mario Cristobal to work his recruiting magic
Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post
Tue, December 7, 2021, 4:48 PMĀ·5 min read

https://news.yahoo.com/dangelo...istobal-214848254.html
 12/08/2021 07:26 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I don't see how this could have been handled better. Diaz and James produced nothing. ZERO. They lost to FIU. No conference championship in the ACC. This is not what us Cane fans had in mind.

They got the best person available with great local ties, that will bolster recruiting. Looks like they have stirred up some big money connections. Thats what it's about in college football now a days.

from ESPN:

2021 coach: Manny Diaz (fired on Dec. 6)
Replacement: Mario Cristobal, previously Oregon head coach
Grade: A-

The U got its man. Miami's mechanism might have been messy and brash, but the program ended up with the coach it has coveted to restore the glory. The hiring of Cristobal, combined with long-overdue financial commitments to upgrade the program, gives Miami a chance to become nationally relevant again. Cristobal, 51, is not only a connection to Miami's elite past who will galvanize former players and fans, he also brings in two Pac-12 championships at Oregon and a recruiting profile that places him among the nation's very best head coaches. Few head coaches are as tenacious as Cristobal when it comes to recruiting. He undoubtedly will make an immediate impact with Miami-area recruits, and enhance some of the progress Diaz made on the trail. No top-level FBS coach is more connected to the city and to the university.

So why isn't this a full-on A-grade? Cristobal's in-game coaching remains a concern, and the end to his Oregon tenure -- two noncompetitive losses to Utah in three games -- can't be ignored. He will put together great rosters at Miami. But will he have the game-day chops to get Miami to the CFP and ultimately to its first national title since 2001? There's enough evidence from his time at Oregon to be a bit leery of his Saturday skills. His staff hires will be important, and he has a good track record of bringing in quality assistants.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.

Edited: 12/08/2021 at 07:29 AM by jdbman
 12/08/2021 01:59 PM

Central Floridave

A notoriously frugal university when it comes to athletics has gone from thrifty to extravagant. Cristobal reportedly signed a 10-year, $80-million contract. In addition, Miami is paying Cristobal's $9 million buyout and the remaining two years of Diaz's contract, about $8 million.

Add on tax bills of around $11 million as reported by USA Today and the Hurricanes suddenly are acting like they are Alabama or Clemson or Texas A&M. Or Jeff Bezos.

Miami leaves unanswered questions on timing, finances of Mario Cristobal hire
Tom D'Angelo, Palm Beach Post

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami...-timing-153945447.html
 12/08/2021 02:47 PM

Central Floridave

Cristobal was great at FIU at the time but then got fired (forget why). It's a good hire for Miami.

12/09/2021 07:05 AM

Central Floridave

Miami has hired Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich to the same position, according to multiple reports. The hire of Radakovich, 63, is the latest in a series of big swings aimed at rebuilding Miami's athletic department back to prominence.
 12/09/2021 09:12 AM

johnnyboy

I always wonder who these lawyers are they make these contracts for the coaches. That's what I want to do.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/09/2021 03:50 PM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

I always wonder who these lawyers are they make these contracts for the coaches. That's what I want to do.
jb

Me too!

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 12/11/2021 08:19 AM

Central Floridave

Penn State taps ex-Miami coach Diaz as defensive coordinator
 12/13/2021 06:12 AM

johnnyboy

The musical chairs continue.

Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .