Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: New car prices, , , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/25/2021 01:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/25/2021 01:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

well sure, , , , , I've listened to the stories. And now, I have my own, , , , ,

Went to the "store" Wednesday afternoon. Pretty much knew what I wanted and/or would be satisfied with, , , , and the prices paid for such.

Very few "new" cars on the lot. A good quantity of Used.

Sure enough, they did not have the "exact" car I was looking for but, they did have one that caught my eye and was very suitable.

Anyway here's the "Punch Line" of my story.

Window label "total price": $24,315,00

The Dealer's: Vehicle Purchase Price : $27,488.71

A "take it or leave it" 13% "markup" of $3,173

And, this is currently normal behavior around these parts at this time. But, the reality of the situation is that I could buy a similar/same used 2019 model for what it's original window label price was. Not such a deal either. I had pretty much planned on a sticker of $30K so, I in effect "saved" enough for a 1st Class Round Trip to Maui.

Who here has had similar/same moments of displeasure recently?

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 12/25/2021 07:27 PM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

Take it or leave it mark-up? lol

What can the car do? Wash my balls? But seriously, I had somewhat of a similar experience a few months ago. I had not purchased a new car in over 10years, but wife really needed an upgrade. Ended up just knocking out only $500 off the sticker. I remember being able to buy way below invoice back then, or a much lower internet price
 12/25/2021 09:42 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

It is a shitty time to be buying a car from a dealer, new or used.
They are parking cars so you see them broadside from the street to make the lots look fuller. But the real inventory is really low.

If you have a performance car or truck that is in good condition lots of folks have received real offers from dealers over what was paid for the car initially. I know a couple of folks with fun cars who took the deals and banked the money for their next playtoy when the time is right.

Some dealers are better than others about the dealer markups.
I'm kinda biding my time to see what '22 and early '23 bring. A couple years ago you were getting thousands off MSRP easy. I got a one year old family hauler used with 18k miles in great condition for literally half of MSRP 18 months ago. dodge/chevy/ford and the others were offering huge incentives off their brand new marquee cars. Not now, but that may change in a few months.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 12/26/2021 11:23 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Take the leave it option. Wait as long as you can.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/26/2021 01:08 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

prices are up. who knew?
 12/27/2021 06:40 AM

Cole

I heard a smart money person say that this is the way it will be from now on. He said there will no longer be filled lots with a dozen cars to choose from and that the industry will now be using "supply" and demand as a profit making scheme.

Is he right? Only time will tell.

I was right.
 12/27/2021 01:45 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Car dealers are disgusting subhumans. I drove from Brevard to Palm Beach Co 1.5 years ago with cash in hand to buy a sweet used car for $14K. Called ahead of time to make sure the car would be held for 3 hours it took me to get there, and the price was a no-BS deal. Got there around 8pm and took the test drive. The car had some deficiencies I could have lived with at that price. Went in to start the paperwork, and when they brought it out for me to sign, they wanted $21K. 50% bullshit on top. I told him with the deficiencies it was not worth $14K, but I was in a hurry and would take it at that price, plus sales tax. He stalled and kept me around another 45 minutes, but never got his out-the-door price below $20K. Then they called me 3x per day for the next week trying to get me back. Never gonna happen.

Also took my son car shopping at the Mitsubishi dealership on 192 in MLB. Told them we'd be paying cash for a used car, $7K max. They had us drive two cars that had no price on them. We went inside to talk about them, and they brought us out one short form to fill out. Did that impatiently. Then they brought out more forms for credit checks. I told them that was unnecessary since I was paying cash, just wanted to know the price. They came back after 30 minutes and told us the price was $15K. WTF???

I did have one good experience buying a used car at the OffLeaseOnly in Orlando. No BS, except they can't guarantee the car you saw on the internet is still on the lot, because their web page updates are always a few days behind. No biggie, they had tons to choose from when I got there. Prices on their site look kinda high now, following the general market. They've already made plenty of money on the lease, but can still extract the last few $ from most deals because of the shortage.
 12/27/2021 02:09 PM

Cole

The vans I was after at off-lease all had major collisions. My interest was peaked by weird and uneven wear on the tires and after looking into it, I found one of their tricks to keeping the prices low was to bring cars back from the dead; serious repairs for serious crashes.

I was right.
 12/27/2021 07:49 PM

CurtisEflush

True and good point. I had heard about that, but it's been 4 years since I bought mine, so I had forgotten about it. I ran the VIN before buying, and only found a front fender-bender; it was pretty well repaired, and caused no pulling or wobbling issues. Drive train, suspension, and electronics were my main criteria, and all were good. We've put 100K miles on it since buying it, with only a battery replacement.

So, caveat emptor with OffLease, but you can find good value there if you're not looking for perfection. I'll never buy a brand new car again.
 12/28/2021 06:22 AM

Bamboo

First off, I usually hate the car buying process and don't trust them...even the dealerships that I've had good experiences with.

But there are some basic rules to follow and then stick to your guns.
The #1 rule is to never tell them how you will be paying for the car. It limits your options and tells them a lot about you that will be used against you in the negotiating process.

I get that it makes sense that if you are paying cash that you SHOULD get a better price, but that isn't how it works at dealerships. They make lots of money off the extended service packages and financing and that is why they turn you over to a finance guy after you pick your car.

Toyota and Honda often take money off the deal if you are using their financing. Last toyota I bought I did that, they took 3k off the deal, and then I paid the loan off after 60 or 90 days.

Besides the off=lease places, try the rental car sales from places like Avis. Not all of those are daily rentals, some are company fleet vehicles. Either way, they are usually maintained pretty well and the last fam hauler I bought was a really nice high trim level van that was really clean and at that time was a great deal.

Unfortunately, now is a sucky time to buy pretty much anything from a dealer or lot as mentioned before.

Private party sales are ok if you know exactly what you are looking to buy and know what to look for or have a mechanic look it over first. A buddy recently bought a super clean never raced garage queen club Miata for a great price. He is into auto-x and weekend warrior course racing and that is a great car for that. But he also is really into those cars and knows what to look for had no issues buying from a private seller.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
 12/28/2021 10:03 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Pro tips:
First, and most important, they always want to lure you there. DO NOT believe anything they say over ad, email or phone.
2nd, you are in control. Do not release that control. They have quotas to hit. You don't.
3rd, come prepared. Read edmunds buying guides on prices. MSRP, never pay more than that. I never have, you shouldn't either. Read forums and research what people are paying. Sometimes, MSRP is the best you will get depending on time and availability.
4th, don't sign up for all that extra BS. None of it helps.
5th, WALK WALK WALK. Keep looking until you get the price you want. Be patient. A customer in a rush will fall to the sharks.
6th, All finance experts say never buy new. Look for that one "grandma returned with low miles".
 12/28/2021 12:05 PM

johnnyboy

I brought my son with me just so he could see how they lie to my face. It took us three days to buy wife's van. I was exhausted at the end of it.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/28/2021 02:19 PM

The Political Thinker

Joined Forum: 06/14/2004

nothing worse than Car Salesmen, dealerships, realtors, and general contractors (glorified organizing receptionists)

scientia potentia est

12/29/2021 02:45 PM

Cole

I've stood to walk out on three different occasions and it worked, but that was when cars were hard to move. Today might be a different animal.

I had my keys taken once and had to stand and yell in the crowded showroom to get them back. I was damn close to going to jail that day.

I was right.
 12/29/2021 06:02 PM

CurtisEflush

Originally posted by: Cole
I had my keys taken once and had to stand and yell in the crowded showroom to get them back. I was damn close to going to jail that day.

Never give them your keys. Or at least show them you're giving them a spare, you have the master, and will drive out when you feel like it.

My dad gave up his keys once at a dealer in Orlando, and didn't get them back until he started dialing cops to report a stolen car.
 12/30/2021 12:07 AM

The Political Thinker

Joined Forum: 06/14/2004

Who gives a complete stranger their keys?

scientia potentia est

12/30/2021 02:53 PM

Bamboo

I'm with you PT, never ever would give the dealer my personal car keys as part of a new car buying experience. For service, of course...give them the valet key.
I've test driven a bunch of cars including muscle and sports cars and have never had to give them my car keys. They wanted to see my license and insurance (I think), but that was it.

12/30/2021 02:59 PM

CurtisEflush

Dealer asked for keys under the guise of "evaluating the trade-in value of the used car you brought in for the trade."

It's such a common tactic there are forum discussions and reports about it all over the web. One attorney won $100K for a client who got blocked from leaving.

Edited: 12/30/2021 at 03:04 PM by CurtisEflush
 12/31/2021 05:28 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: Cole

The vans I was after at off-lease all had major collisions. My interest was peaked by weird and uneven wear on the tires and after looking into it, I found one of their tricks to keeping the prices low was to bring cars back from the dead; serious repairs for serious crashes.

Off lease can be a good deal, but you have to read the carfax carefully. I bought a VW Jetta over there for my son that had been side swiped but repaired to a high standard, and the price was right with balance of factory warranty (pre-Covid).

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 01/06/2022 08:13 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

I've heard that used car prices are up as high as 26%. I know a guy who just sold his car for the same price he bought it for 2-3 years ago even though it has a pretty big dent in the door now.

Those Off-lease places are weird as hell. The main office has music playing really loud and feels kind of like a crowded bus station with kids sleeping on the floor and shit. I looked at cars there one time and several of the cars had blood stains on the headliners. I didn't get a good feeling from the place at all and wasn't ready to risk it in order to save a couple thousand dollars.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .