Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: SUV stopped on tracks with crossing gates down when Brightline train slammed into it, killing 2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2023 06:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/15/2023 06:59 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

SUV stopped on tracks with crossing gates down when Brightline train slammed into it, killing 2
Police say SUV struck by Brightline train moments after freight train traveling opposite direction passed

https://www.wptv.com/news/regi...mmed-into-it-killing-2
 02/15/2023 07:01 AM

Central Floridave

This happened in Delray Beach. This will soon be a headline in Brevard County.

"Brightline has set a target for when its Orlando station will begin passenger service, according to its monthly revenue and ridership report.

The Miami-based higher-speed rail service said in its January report that it wants to start service for the Orlando-to-West Palm Beach route in second-quarter 2023.

The 170-mile expansion connecting Orlando to the service's South Florida stations is 90% complete, the report says."

The brightline train will be travelling at 110 mph thru Brevard. Be careful! I cross the tracks all the time going to Wickham park. Those intersections are rickety. I hope all the signals work good and people don't try to scoot past them when down.
 02/15/2023 08:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

But then, what must we do to keep "the Stupid Ones" off of the roads ??

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/15/2023 10:25 AM

johnnyboy

This train is going to make Titusville the next money suburb. There are always train deaths. Its just weird that with all of the protections, people go around and stay around. My next door neighbor was killed by a freight train in West Palm Beach last year. She had late onset dementia. It didnt make any sense. I guess these people are destined to be killed in some preventable way and a train is now more likely.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/15/2023 12:00 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

Originally posted by: dingpatch

We will have them ride in smart cars.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 02/15/2023 12:48 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

"Delray Beach police spokesman Ted White said traffic homicide investigators believe the SUV stopped on the southbound tracks while the crossing gates were down until the northbound freight train had passed. However, the driver apparently didn't see the southbound Brightline train, which slammed into the vehicle." WPTV
    So the driver had gone around the gate, was sitting on the southbound track waiting for the northbound train to pass...
    One safety approach is to put solid barriers in the midline of the street to discourage going around the gates.
    Lots of stupid people out there. A friend in Wyoming lost his dad to trying to beat a train. Brightline has resulted in more than 60 deaths. These should mostly be people who wouldn't casually fly through a red light. But maybe they might join a conga line of people making left turns after the light had turned red.

Edited: 02/15/2023 at 12:51 PM by ww
 02/15/2023 06:27 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

No stop in brevard apparently
While I've dealt with the ground rumbling at my house, multiple road blockages on the highways.
And a shitload more train whistles and rail crossing waits
How much does pillmill rick collect this time?

It's a democratic hoax
 02/16/2023 06:14 AM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Who knew that trains could "fix" the stupid ones?

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
 02/16/2023 06:43 AM

johnnyboy

It's like Darwin's broom culling our herd.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

02/17/2023 01:33 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

There have been long-standing efforts to reduce or eliminate grade crossings. The FEC line was built through open countryside and crossings were permitted all over. I suspect the number of crossings exceeds what exists along mainlines in the Northeast and Midwest. Thanks to the long gravel trains, elevating much of the track is impossible. For Miami-West Palm Beach fast rail service, FEC is perhaps not the best. Tri Rail uses another line that served as a template for I-95, which runs next to it. That cleans up a lot of grade crossing problems.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .