Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rock-and-rolling down a long road with The Outlaws
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/09/2020 12:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/09/2020 12:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Rock-and-rolling down a long road with The Outlaws
By Andrea Valluzzo Published 12:00 pm EDT, Thursday, April 9, 2020

http://www.theridgefieldpress....e-Outlaws-15184195.php
 04/09/2020 12:20 PM

Central Floridave

I have listened to their new album "Dixie Highway". This is neither a positive or negative review of the album, just a self-isolation album review.

First song, 'Southern Rock Will Never Die'... Cliche southern rock yuck. But, whatever. I love Southern Rock but this song is Lame-O. However, like all the songs on this abum it has great recording techniques and does sound really good. I may not be a fan of obvious country cliche lyrics. (I hate country music)

Entire album is enjoyable but there is no 'Outlaw' in this music. Seems too much leaning on the country and cliche lyrics. Seems Canned music. A lot of time put into developing the songs but forced music as well.

There is still a dueling lead guitar, in-which makes it southern rock.

The harmonies are really good. Sounds eerily similar to The Eagles in some songs.

Its a great album, the music is quality, but it is not 'outlaw' southern rock in my opinion.

I would say it is more heavily studio produced and purposely forced to sound 'soulful' southern rock. I'm wondering what I was expecting?

But, whatever. I never really listened to an entire Outlaw album. Maybe I'll go back and listen to Green Grass & High Tide. it sure looks good to me

Currently playing in my ear buds while typing this, "Rattlesnake Road". Cliche country western with uptempo boogie. Southern twang voice. Fast Forward to next song.

"The Outlaws down in Tampa town, yes, a mighty fine place to be
They got green grass and they got high tides and it sure looks good to me" -Molly Hatchet

04/09/2020 01:16 PM

Central Floridave

Interview with Henry Paul

04/09/2020 04:27 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Interesting article for a Connecticut newspaper to have. I wonder if they're aware the Dixie Highway is a real road, as well as a metaphor.

Having seen the HPB once (1980/81) and the reassembled Outlaws several times in the past decade, I have to say they're a much better band live. That just seems to bring out the guitar work they're famous for. The loss of guitarist Chris Anderson (now with his own band, RattleBone) was a big one.

Funny thing about "country" music: "Southern Rock" had fallen out of favor by the 1990's, and country music had become huge (huger!) by the early 2000's. I read an article back then about how several southern rockers had reinvented themselves in the Country genre, but didn't give it much thought.

Fast-forward to 2014, when I got a chance to see The Outlaws in Orlando (front row ). The opening band was a band called Black Hawk. I didn't give it much thought. They came on stage, and started with a very "country" set, with Henry Paul on mandolin and acoustic guitar as well as vocals. That caught me off guard, so I googled it real quick, and found out they were a very successful country band.

Several songs later, one of the songs picked up a bit, and I said to myself, that (electric) guitarist has some bona fide Southern Rock chops. After their set ends and The Outlaws come on stage, it's all the same guys, just standing in different locations, and wearing different hats. They proceeded to put on a blistering show -- one of the best I've seen. That guitarist with the chops turned out to be Chris Anderson. He looks and sounds like a genuine Southerner, but Google says he's from LA, iirc.

Edited: 04/09/2020 at 04:29 PM by RegularJoe
 04/13/2020 06:38 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

They opened for The Stones in late 70's early 80's. They were boo'd off. Why? Because no one came to see them.
 04/15/2020 08:46 PM

OceanTerra

Joined Forum: 09/13/2011

Who remembers HPBs Grey Ghost? Southern Rock was beginning to wane around that time but damn if that didn't prick my young ears up
 04/16/2020 06:48 AM

RegularJoe

I saw HPB do that one at Brassy's in 1980. Awesome show. I was in the front row, standing 2' from HP the whole time. He handed me his bottle of Jack Daniels when he needed two hands to start playing his guitar again. Chug-a-lug-lug-lug... I was 17 at the time.
 04/16/2020 07:17 AM

Central Floridave

Brevard Local musician, Dave Fiester (The Legendary Groove Monsters, RIP) played with Henry Paul Band. I wonder if he was playing with them at Brassy's at the time. I was probably there. I frequented Brassy's a lot in early 80s as they would not card us underaged teenagers!
 04/16/2020 06:02 PM

RegularJoe

I sneaked in early for that one, and posed as the band's photographer and roadie when the manager first tried to kick me out. Fake ID helped.
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .