Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Covid air fryer addition.
Topic Summary: Got the biggest one.
Created On: 05/14/2020 12:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/18/2020 07:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Two things. The sous vide with steak will make a very tender steak but you have to throw it on the grill just to get the grill marks.

I did the coconut shrimp air fry recipe. Pat shrimp, dredge in corn starch, dip in egg white batter and then sweetened coconut flakes. Put them in air fryer for 15 minutes on 330 and flip around and toss at halfway. Very good. Lots less fat and plenty of flavor.

You gotta sear that fat. It was my plan. I need one of these torches...

Air fryer will be here soon.

Edited: 05/18/2020 at 07:18 AM by HAPDigital
 05/18/2020 08:58 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

And, otherwise, some people prefer to have a little bit more "doneness".

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 05/19/2020 04:22 PM

HAPDigital

So did my first cook on the air fryer. We did fresh cut french fries for the maiden voyage. I used like a few drops of canola/olive oil mix. The fries came out wonderful. I only had 3 giant potatoes and the family ripped right through them. It was a hit. It reminded me of potatoes done in our convection oven but also fried. It tasted better than frying though and better than in the convection oven. It really exceeded my expectations. Avoided air fryers for a while because I thought they were a gimmick. Can't wait to try some more things. The coconut shrimp sounds great.
 05/20/2020 04:53 PM

HAPDigital

Made southern fried chicken with this thing. Came out great. Batting 2 for 2 with it and it is paying off. Family is loving the fried food without all the oil and 80% less clean up.

05/20/2020 05:05 PM

dingpatch

Your photo is, , , , , is, , , , , , I want a bite!

Dora Hates You
 05/20/2020 05:48 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Your photo is, , , , , is, , , , , , I want a bite!

It was good. When I do it again I will let the oil soak into the batter longer and flip the chicken at mid time. This recipe calls for spraying the batter with oil before putting it in but never mentioned flipping it. But since it is not sitting in oil gravity finds is way and pulls it from the top. So the top comes out more like a cookie crunch and the bottom like traditional fried chicken. I think flipping it will work out well. Although my wife liked it not being oily like fried chicken from the store or made in the deep fryer. Only caveat was 20 minutes to do 5 pieces. I battered like 18 pieces lol.

Next up is the coconut shrimp and bang bang shrimp and then empanadas for taco Tuesday next week. Emeril has a nice empanada recipe in the book that came with this fryer. Gonna give it a go.

05/21/2020 09:39 AM

HAPDigital

Not sure if it is good or not. But this $169 air firyer is going for 45 bucks.

Air Fryer
 05/21/2020 10:06 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I got mine at Costco for $70. The fried chicken looks great. With the kids home for school, I am able to put bagel bites in for 7 minutes at 400 and they are perfect for the lazy lunch. It takes 15 minutes for the oven to get to 400. It's very good as a reheater. I also did thin slice potato chips. That took about 20 minutes but they were crunchy and good.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/21/2020 10:32 AM

HAPDigital

Guess the deals I posted, one from BJs and one from Newegg are pretty good then. Oh, yeah, clean up is hardlr anything at all. Super nice. Fried chicken was a few wipes with paper towels lol.

Well I broke down and got the sous vide because a wifi one and container was on sale. I'll be trying that tonight on some cheap steaks from aldi. I'm going to see if I can make magic happen with it. I'll have to take them out back to sear them on the grill. I'm gonna need a torch lol

Anyway, I think these two purchases got me up to date with modern cooking.

Edited: 05/21/2020 at 10:33 AM by HAPDigital
 05/22/2020 12:20 PM

johnnyboy

I wish I had the sous vide for salmon.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

05/22/2020 04:05 PM

HAPDigital

I wish I had the sous vide for salmon.

I only made some creme brulee in it so far. Honestly, my favorite is a side of salmon on the smoker at 275 until internal temp is 137 and let it rest til it cooks itself to 140 and let it rest some more until it cools down a bit. Holy mackeral! Incredible. The side of salmon at aldi is like 13-15 bucks. Feeds the whole family and then some...

Orange Maple Glazed Smoke Salmon on German Rye with Creme Fraiche, red onions, pickled eggs and chives.

Edited: 05/22/2020 at 04:07 PM by HAPDigital
 05/23/2020 09:15 AM

johnnyboy

That would make a moist flavorful salmon. Last night I air fried chicken breasts. For my batter I used crushed takis, the spicy crunchy snack. I soaked the breasts in brine for 20 minutes and they came out crunchy and moist.

05/23/2020 07:02 PM

HAPDigital

That would make a moist flavorful salmon. Last night I air fried chicken breasts. For my batter I used crushed takis, the spicy crunchy snack. I soaked the breasts in brine for 20 minutes and they came out crunchy and moist.

that sounds good. some of those takis are pretty intese though lol
 05/26/2020 03:09 PM

johnnyboy

The teenagers that lay around and share my last name are full of ideas for how I can cook for them. They love the takis.

05/26/2020 04:32 PM

HAPDigital

The teenagers that lay around and share my last name are full of ideas for how I can cook for them. They love the takis.

LOL must be the age. My teenager likes them too. I like them until I don't.
 06/06/2020 07:04 AM

HAPDigital

Homemade empanadas in the air fryer, used pulled pork from my smoker too. Oh my my...

06/06/2020 07:18 AM

dingpatch

Posting such good looking empanadas is just plain Hateful!!!!

Did you make your own dough?

Dora Hates You
 06/06/2020 08:09 AM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Posting such good looking empanadas is just plain Hateful!!!!

Did you make your own dough?

Lol No, the premade ones (Goya discos) are awesome. Don't think I'll make my own after using these, no need to unless you want the Venezuelan style dough, a bit more airy less like these. These are our go to for taco Tuesdays now. We use left over meat from BBQ on weekend and chop it up refry it with onions taco seasoning and cilantro. Really easy. You can do just as good in your oven. Just need to flip them once probably.
 06/23/2020 08:17 AM

johnnyboy

I'm doing this.

06/23/2020 10:05 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I got one because of this thread and the sale I came across. Very impressed so far. Salmon was great, frozen Pierogis from frozen in like 10 minutes, planning to try some home made empanadas.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
FORUMS : FOOD ...........and Music : Covid air fryer addition.

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .