Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Gary Rossington, last founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, dies at 71
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/06/2023 03:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/06/2023 03:03 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

03/06/2023 03:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Never saw Skynyrd live , but I did see The Rossington / Collins Band open for the Allman Brothers on several occasions . Good Shit ! ..

Edited: 03/06/2023 at 03:58 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 03/06/2023 04:46 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

---I shall let some other kind soul to post the obligatory " Free Bird " ;;;

Edited: 03/07/2023 at 06:41 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 03/07/2023 04:38 AM

Central Floridave

Lynyrd Skynyrd is a tribute band now. It has been for quiet awhile now. I googled it knowing that there is a Law in the books stating that at least one original member in a band needs to be part of it to still use it's name. It probably does not apply here, but I googled it and found this article from December:

Gary Rossington Says Fans Don't Care If Lynyrd Skynyrd Is A 'Tribute Band'
By Andrew Magnotta @AndrewMagnotta

December 6, 2022
The sole remaining original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd referred to the current version of the group as a "tribute band" in a new interview.

Speaking on the Lynyrd Skynyrd's enduring relevance, guitarist Gary Rossington voiced his appreciation for fans' loyal support.

"It's a tribute band right now, and everybody knows it's not the original," Rossington told Rolling Stone. "Everybody who comes to see us is told that during the show, and probably knows before they even get there. But people still come to hear it live."

Rossington is referring to the spot during each Skynyrd show where the band honors the victims of the tragic 1977 plane crash which killed six people, including three band members.

Even Rossington has missed his share of shows in recent years, leaving the band to perform with no original members at a number of gigs. The guitarist admitted it's "strange" watching the band perform without him, but the connection of the music to its audience is still present.

"To see the younger people enjoying it makes your heart warm," he said, before adding that his late-bandmates would "love" to know that their music was still being played beyond their lifetimes.

Almost six decades after Lynyrd Skynyrd was formed, the band is showing no signs of stopping. Skynyrd announced a farewell tour in 2018, but later abandoned the endeavor, noting that they have continued getting tour offers and that fan interest seems to remain at an all-time high.
 03/07/2023 11:24 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Leonard Skinner, the PE teacher whose name was immortalised in rock'n'roll history by his students, has died (Sept. 2010) in Florida, aged 77. The teacher's distaste for the long hair of pupils at Robert E Lee high school in Jacksonville in the 1960s led to many a shaggy-fringed student being sent to the headteacher's office - among them the founding members of Lynyrd Skynyrd. https://www.theguardian.com/mu...d-skynyrd-teacher-dies

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 03/09/2023 04:27 PM

Central Floridave

good article:

Lynyrd Skynyrd member's death signals end of era for Southern rock

https://www.cbsnews.com/atlant...era-for-southern-rock/
 03/09/2023 08:20 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I've always loved Rossington's guitar work in the live versions of Searchin':
(Lousy video but good enough audio)

I was supposed to go see what turned out to be Skynyrd's next-to-last show (Lakeland) before the plane crash, but couldn't make it. My classmates said it was a hell of a show. I had just picked up a copy of the Street Survivors vinyl with the fire on the cover.

I saw the Rossington Collins Band at one of the Rock and Roll Sweatbowls at the Tangerine Bowl a few years later. Rossington later married RCB vocalist Dale Krantz.

Local connection to Leonard Skinner: He briefly coached football and taught PE at Titusville High School (early 60's):
Link to newspaper photo here (won't auto-display)

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .