Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The truth about Healthcare in USA
Topic Summary: From an actual medical journal (The Lancet)
Created On: 02/17/2020 10:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2020 10:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

"Although health care expenditure per capita is higher in the USA than in any other country, more than 37 million Americans do not have health insurance, and 41 million more have inadequate access to care. Efforts are ongoing to repeal the Affordable Care Act which would exacerbate health-care inequities.

By contrast, a universal system, such as that proposed in the Medicare for All Act, has the potential to transform the availability and efficiency of American health-care services. Taking into account both the costs of coverage expansion and the savings that would be achieved through the Medicare for All Act, we calculate that a single-payer, universal health-care system is likely to lead to a 13% savings in national health-care expenditure, equivalent to more than US$450 billion annually (based on the value of the US$ in 2017).

The entire system could be funded with less financial outlay than is incurred by employers and households paying for health-care premiums combined with existing government allocations. This shift to single-payer health care would provide the greatest relief to lower-income households. Furthermore, we estimate that ensuring health-care access for all Americans would save more than 68?000 lives and 1ยท73 million life-years every year compared with the status quo."

http://www.thelancet.com/journ...)33019-3/fulltext#%20

So don't believe the hype folks. The people who make billions in profit from the current system are will to spend unlimited amounts making you think it's impossible to change the system. Listen to facts, not propaganda.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/17/2020 11:59 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I'm going to believe the hype. I like my current health plan just fine. On the other hand, I have not seen anything to suggest that the federal government will give me the equivalent cheaper or at the same quality. Govts stuff is usually worse and more expensive. Obama care was a failure and I'd expect a more complex system to fail worse.

I :heart; Q
 02/17/2020 12:22 PM

RustyTruck

I'm talking to those of us who care about population health and economics. I'm sure there's plenty of people for whom a problem is not a problem if it doesn't effect them directly.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

02/17/2020 01:12 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Ah, but the "fix" would affect me and millions of others. And would those who do better under Medicare for all, give a hoot about my worsened situation? No they would not.

I :heart; Q
 02/17/2020 01:57 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Muh fugger, I'm self employed. Mr small business man. Not relying on someone else to put food on my plate. I pay $2400.000 a month for the opportunity to seek medical help if and when I need it. That doesn't count the extra charges at the dr. office and lets not forget medicine. I take a multivitamin and zinc in the AM. A giant fatty in the evening. That's it. I'll be eligible for the gubmint handout at the end of July. The giant turd will get rid of it before I can have some.
 02/17/2020 02:06 PM

villageidiot

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

What the teabagger and Walmart shopper fails to comprehend is that although your taxes will go up, it will be a small fraction of what you're already paying in premiums, significantly increasing your take home pay. Our current system has some of the worst outcomes in the industrialized world..,
 02/17/2020 02:27 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

You can thank Ronnie Raygun
 02/17/2020 03:23 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: villageidiot

What the teabagger and Walmart shopper fails to comprehend is that although your taxes will go up, it will be a small fraction of what you're already paying in premiums, significantly increasing your take home pay. Our current system has some of the worst outcomes in the industrialized world..,

This is the point I wish Bernie would make more some noise on.

Sure your taxes would go up some, you'll save way more not paying premiums, deductibles, etc.

Ask an Aussie about their Medicare.

02/17/2020 05:40 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Originally posted by: RustyTruck
more than 37 million Americans do not have health insurance,

The number seems to be closer to 27 million. If they're off by that much on this simple fact, the rest of their data is suspect.

President Obama made a lot of noise about that, and it turned out to be pretty inaccurate.

Government doesn't have the best track record with these kinds of things.

Even if there is a net savings (increased taxes more than offset by reduced/eliminated premiums), I doubt they can do it without a negative impact to the quality of care.

I would rather see an option that preserves liberties and choice than a complete government takeover.
 02/17/2020 05:45 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I would rather see an option that preserves liberties and choice than a complete government takeover.

A decent government sponsored plan at a decent price. Adding real competition into the market will make all the difference.

I was right.

Edited: 02/17/2020 at 05:45 PM by Cole
 02/17/2020 08:02 PM

villageidiot

Joined Forum: 09/16/2005

Govt programs worldwide have significantly better health and longevity outcomes than plans that preserve liberty and "choice";
 02/18/2020 04:20 AM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

more than 37 million Americans do not have health insurance,

The number seems to be closer to 27 million. If they're off by that much on this simple fact, the rest of their data is suspect.

President Obama made a lot of noise about that, and it turned out to be pretty inaccurate.

Government doesn't have the best track record with these kinds of things.

Even if there is a net savings (increased taxes more than offset by reduced/eliminated premiums), I doubt they can do it without a negative impact to the quality of care.

Medical journals are peer reviewed and publish their references. I posted the link.

You don't think it's possible because they spend big money to convince you it isnt.

Fact is, we spend more and get less than any where in the world.

02/18/2020 04:28 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

And on top of that, major health issues are the biggest single source of bankruptcy in the US.

It's mind blowing how people cannot see that the system is stacked against us and designed to bleed money from our pockets.

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 02/19/2020 04:01 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: tpapablo

I'm going to believe the hype. I like my current health plan just fine. On the other hand, I have not seen anything to suggest that the federal government will give me the equivalent cheaper or at the same quality. Govts stuff is usually worse and more expensive. Obama care was a failure and I'd expect a more complex system to fail worse.

You have the same plan that is offered under Obamacare. Insurance is insurance.

I was right.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .