Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Coronavirus: Out of Many, One
Topic Summary: What the US Federal Government and the States Should Do to Fight the Coronavirus
Created On: 04/07/2020 02:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/07/2020 02:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

In depth thoughtful analysis of the current state of the coronavirus pandemic. Worth reading it in its entirety.

Summary: It makes political and economic sense for the US to suppress the coronavirus. For that, states and the federal government each have their own roles that they need to adjust.

Coronavirus: Out of Many, One

-------------------------
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

04/07/2020 04:34 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Today in the VA shuttle van on the way home from Lake Nona, the driver had Rush Limpjaw on. What a dick. He is so upset about the economy and seemed to be really hung up on the "fact" that only infirm old people were dying. OK, perhaps that may seem so, to a point. But, regardless, COVID is killing many people in every demographic group. So, if we "open up and get back to business" who else will die? It seems that Rush wants to put a Dollar Value on American lives! How much do think your family is worth?!!

On a certain level a lot of the "let's get back to work" argument may seem somewhat reasonable BUT. NOBODY who argues that point says anything about the dire fact that it really does appear that between 25 to 50+% of infected people are showing no COVID symptoms and yet, they can pass it on and infect everybody they get close to. If you think that the hospital ERs and ICU are overwhelmed now, , , , , , just wait and see!

In example, how are manufacturers expected to operate in a masked and gowned "social distancing" setting. Sure it can be done but the manufacturing floor space would have to be drastically changed. Etc., etc., etc., , , , ,.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/07/2020 at 07:18 PM by dingpatch
 04/07/2020 04:39 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Nice post, Dab. Thanks for sharing. "the true potential impact of ignoring social distancing" video is scary. I'll read more tomorrow. Good coffee read...
 04/07/2020 07:33 PM

dingpatch

All-in-All, a very good article. Althugh there will be lots, and lots, of haters out there who will say that all of this is simply pure Bull Shit and that we should just ignore it and get back to work.

Dora Hates You
 04/08/2020 03:07 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: dab It makes political and economic sense for the US to suppress the coronavirus
Do you really think so?
 04/08/2020 06:25 AM

dingpatch

So, it seems that Stiry is more than happy to begin to put a dollar value on human life

Dora Hates You
 04/08/2020 06:29 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Everything is a commodity, including human life, under capitalism.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 04/08/2020 06:54 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: dingpatch So, it seems that Stiry is more than happy to begin to put a dollar value on human life
It's what we do. EPA is required to do it when setting pollutant levels. How many people are going to die at XXX ppm versus XXXX ppm? How much does it cost to get to XXX versus XXXX? Balanced the dead versus the cost of pollutant reduction. But, on the economic side. It ultimately makes more sense right now to distance and reduce the death burden from the virus. Do nothing and let the infection rate sky rocket would be even more costly than strict social distancing. Problem is that we have an economic system that has no resiliency baked to handle anything other than 24/7 production and growth. Everything is set up on a knife edge where incoming revenue has to match and exceed debt payments in real time and any slow down starts a cascade of defaults. It is a really perilous way to operate.

04/08/2020 07:45 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

I read through, well thought out piece. The author's conclusion is sad though. I wish it were true. However, we are in a country that now sports a motto "In Trump I Trust". I being Trump.
 04/08/2020 07:54 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: dingpatch So, it seems that Stiry is more than happy to begin to put a dollar value on human life
Analyze this cabbagepatch...i cut and pasted the headline, and added a question mark, and you got triggert. try harder, ding.
 04/08/2020 07:59 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: dingpatch

So, it seems that Stiry is more than happy to begin to put a dollar value on human life

Analyze this cabbagepatch...i cut and pasted the headline, and added a question mark, and you got triggert. try harder, ding.

Are you retarded? I mean, it's fine if you are, but it also would explain a lot of thing too.

I was right.
 04/08/2020 09:25 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: Cole Are you retarded? I mean, it's fine if you are, but it also would explain a lot of thing too.
Says the guy who tends to effKay like hes your personal garden? If you don't understand it, i can repeat it for you..i know that your colrerona can't be helping.
 04/08/2020 09:26 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Originally posted by: dab Summary: It makes political and economic sense for the US to suppress the coronavirus. For that,
thats for the ding-cole crowd
 04/08/2020 02:39 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: dab

It makes political and economic sense for the US to suppress the coronavirus

Do you really think so?

Stir, did you read it? Faster more complete economic recover for cities that had a lockdown during the Spanish Flu. It is an extrapolation to assume the same holds true for our current economy. He clearly points that out, then intelligently argues why we should based on the available current data.

There is risk with either choice. Intelligently deciding which has the lower risk with the best outcome for both Lives lost and GDP lost is the more prudent course of action.

Though, I realize the indefinite loss of income is unsettling. Especially with the overwhelmed unemployment system, uncertainty about SBA loan/grants etc..

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

04/08/2020 06:44 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Nah, didn't read. Mine was a rhetorical question
 04/08/2020 09:47 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Nah, didn't read. Mine was a rhetorical question

Nah, couldn't read. lol

I was right.
 04/09/2020 06:42 PM

StirfryMcflurry

like i'm gonna read y'alls links. bah. only one around here who knows whats goin on is scombrid.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .