Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Re-Fund the Police, Please, , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/15/2020 04:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/15/2020 10:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: HAPDigital

But your idea that the military "warrior bullshit" is what makes PDs corrupt is completely wrong and it is quite the opposite.

http://slate.com/news-and-poli...rainings-industry.html

The "Warrior Cop" Is a Toxic Mentality. And a Lucrative Industry.

...While the "warrior" narrative has existed in law enforcement circles for decades, it has intensified in recent years, driven by the flood of funding and surplus military equipment made available to police departments following the terror attacks on September 11, 2001. There is now a cottage industry of police consultants, which charge departments thousands of dollars to teach tactics more suited for war than civil society.

Classes run the gamut of militarized policing, and are often taught by combat-tested former soldiers and SWAT officers.

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 10:13 AM by RustyTruck
 07/15/2020 10:21 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

But it has nothing to do with ex military or military. It's a totally different culture.
 07/15/2020 10:23 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I thought these Alex Jones types opposed a police state. Turns out they like militarized police when the guns and harassment are pointed at somebody else.

07/15/2020 10:23 AM

HAPDigital

And this article you posted has little to do with the issues with street cops and assaulting/killing civilians. Two different types of cops/jobs.
 07/15/2020 10:30 AM

RustyTruck

You're going to argue that the proliferation of "warrior culture" in police and society has nothing to do with the military and 20 years of endless war, and all the people who come back and have to find work?
There's a natural attraction to cop work. Troops show up in cop ranks at twice their representation in society. I'd say that's statistically significant.

If they don't become cops themselves, they are setting up these "tactical training programs" and teaching cops to see American civilians as potential enemies and of no more value than Afgan civilians.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

07/15/2020 10:49 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Militarized or not, these prog cities are going to become the havens of criminals and ordinary people aren't going to like it. They will move out at an even faster rate than they were.

I :heart; Q
 07/15/2020 10:53 AM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

You're going to argue that the proliferation of "warrior culture" in police and society has nothing to do with the military and 20 years of endless war, and all the people who come back and have to find work?

There's a natural attraction to cop work. Troops show up in cop ranks at twice their representation in society. I'd say that's statistically significant.

If they don't become cops themselves, they are setting up these "tactical training programs" and teaching cops to see American civilians as potential enemies and of no more value than Afgan civilians.

Rusty, you are starting to sound like sniper. I provided you with facts and first hand knowledge. I worked with US Military MPs of all branches and every time I asked them if they were going to be cops when they get out they all said the same thing. PDs do not like military because of the culture differences/morals. Also, again, stats prove PDs do not hire much veterans. Only 20%. That's really odd, huh? You're whole premise was that "Most of these cops are ex-military, where they were fed this "warrior" bullshit." I've shown you how you are wrong yet you continue on with this premise. Then you went on to say "Let me re-phrase; ex-military are over represented in the police forces." and I showed you how you are wrong there as well. The culture is totally different. That "warrior culture" opinion piece was using a handful of police as an example. PDs proplems stem from a toxic culture that goes way back to the turn of the century, nothing to do with military.
 07/15/2020 10:54 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Well stated hap
 07/15/2020 11:51 AM

RustyTruck

Rusty, you are starting to sound like sniper. I provided you with facts and first hand knowledge. I worked with US Military MPs of all branches and every time I asked them if they were going to be cops when they get out they all said the same thing. PDs do not like military because of the culture differences/morals. Also, again, stats prove PDs do not hire much veterans. Only 20%. That's really odd, huh? You're whole premise was that "Most of these cops are ex-military, where they were fed this "warrior" bullshit." I've shown you how you are wrong yet you continue on with this premise. Then you went on to say "Let me re-phrase; ex-military are over represented in the police forces." and I showed you how you are wrong there as well. The culture is totally different. That "warrior culture" opinion piece was using a handful of police as an example. PDs proplems stem from a toxic culture that goes way back to the turn of the century, nothing to do with military.

What you did was provide a correct statistic - 20% of cops are ex-military, which I felt compelled me to correct my misuse of the word "Most". However, the fact is ex-military are over represented in the police relative to the population. That is a fact.

The rest of what you're sharing is anecdotal, which is nice but proves nothing. Your experience is your experience, I suggest it's not universal. There is plenty of both academic and journalistic work that has been done to document the role of the military in all facets of the "militarization" of the police over the last two decades.

The difference between SWAT cops and combat troops is so blurred now that I bet you'd have a hard time differentiating them without uniform insignia. Don't believe me? Thumb through a copy of Guns and Ammo or American Rifleman and play the game... Is it "troop" or "cop"?

I think you're an ex-military guy, and you want to distance yourself from the toxic warrior culture. That's admirable, but don't do it by pretending it doesn't exist. We see it in plain sight.

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 11:52 AM by RustyTruck
 07/15/2020 11:58 AM

HAPDigital

What you did was provide a correct statistic - 20% of cops are ex-military, which I felt compelled me to correct my misuse of the word "Most". However, the fact is ex-military are over represented in the police relative to the population. That is a fact.

The rest of what you're sharing is anecdotal, which is nice but proves nothing. Your experience is your experience, I suggest it's not universal. There is plenty of both academic and journalistic work that has been done to document the role of the military in all facets of the "militarization" of the police over the last two decades.

The difference between SWAT cops and combat troops is so blurred now that I bet you'd have a hard time differentiating them without uniform insignia. Don't believe me? Thumb through a copy of Guns and Ammo or American Rifleman and play the game... Is it "troop" or "cop"?

I think you're an ex-military guy, and you want to distance yourself from the toxic warrior culture. That's admirable, but don't do it by pretending it doesn't exist. We see it in plain sight.

No, because the military does not have a toxic culture. You just think it does. It's quite the opposite. This reminds me of the arguments I had with Miker. His experience was toxic but in general the military pushes the core values and frowns upon toxic practices and punishes for those doing so. It's not anecdotal, it's fact. It's why the police do not want many veterans. Veterans do not stand for toxic behavior and covering for such behavior.
 07/15/2020 12:00 PM

HAPDigital

Then ask yourself, if warrior culture is universal, then why does the police hire such a little amount of military? You'd think if it were universal that percentage would be more along the lines of 50%+.

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 12:00 PM by HAPDigital
 07/15/2020 12:18 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Holy sheet that video was surprising. Damn.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/15/2020 12:24 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Holy sheet that video was surprising. Damn.

The complaint vid? Yeah, and it is not just that one doc. People continue to audit the complaint process and it always ends in the same way, threats, stalking and creating crimes. Kinda scary.
 07/15/2020 12:53 PM

RustyTruck

http://www.amnestyusa.org/with...ights-violator-israel/

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 01:04 PM by RustyTruck
 07/15/2020 01:04 PM

RustyTruck

http://www.themarshallproject....e-more-likely-to-shoot

07/15/2020 01:26 PM

HAPDigital

So here we have you posting a story that the police train with Israeli military, not US. And then another story where the police are finding that vets have issues in Dallas. But nothing backing your initial statements. Can we say PDs are militaristic? Yes, they even use similar ranking structures. However, the corruption and brutality have little to do with that "warrior culture" you are talking about. It has to do with leadership and an almost 2 century old structure where little has changed.
 07/15/2020 01:43 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

"Warrior Cop" brings back a humous memory, , , , , Mrs. Dingpatch's first husband was a Cop. One of his buddies was a Special Forces 4 Tour Vietnam Vet and also a Cop

So, years later, she and I are just pulling into a parking space at Petco in Melbourne when a old Mercury Comet stops in the lane over in front of us, a guy gets out and snatches the helmet off of a motorcycle that is parked in front of us, , , , ,. We report it to the store and get with the cycle driver, , , , ,. Anyway, MPD comes and interviews us and we tell them everything with a very good description of the car and the perp. The one cop, the Vet mentioned above, knew exactly who we were talking about! When the perps were detained the one guy was not impressed with the fact that there were two, reliable, witnesses and he said that if "they" (Me/her) knew what was good for us, , , , we'd keep our mouths shut. The SF Vet told him that he had better be careful about who he messed with. The perp said that he was not afraid of us. The SF Vet Cop showed the perp the Vietnam SF tattoos on his arms and told the perp that "ya, I would not be afraid of that woman either, I'd be terrified, , , , she's an exCIA operative, , , ,, she'll take care of you, and your whole family, in your sleep". LOL!

Dora Hates You
 07/15/2020 01:46 PM

RustyTruck

Warrior culture originated in the military, most notably post 9/11.

Warrior culture has infiltrated American police forces.

We are seeing the effects, alongside and in addition to systemic structural problems in the American approach to public safety.

07/15/2020 01:50 PM

HAPDigital

Warrior culture originated in the military, most notably post 9/11.

Warrior culture has infiltrated American police forces.

We are seeing the effects, alongside and in addition to systemic structural problems in the American approach to public safety.

20% of the PD population "infiltrated" their culture? LOL No.
 07/15/2020 02:10 PM

RustyTruck

http://www.wearethemighty.com/...ass-warfighters

There exists a population within America's bravest. A culture of warriors who heard and answered the call throughout history- American warfighters.

The military is an expansive network, full of various roles and professions. While any service is honorable, there's no arguing that some join for the battle- to run as fast as possible toward the danger.

We call upon these warriors in times of conflict, to utilize their fighting spirit, ready to charge into any battle without hesitation. During times of peace, this subculture faces rejection when the focus shifts to training for a mission in the unknown future instead of the dependable cycle of deployments during surges. To the warrior, who gains self-worth in their ability to live through combat, the blank space where a deployment slot belongs destroys the mind and soul. War rages on within them, awaiting the time when they can again serve to their true potential.

..."A lack of empathy is required to remain in this profession. It's not nice to say, but it is true."

Edited: 07/15/2020 at 02:12 PM by RustyTruck
FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Re-Fund the Police, Please, , , , ,

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .