Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Florida's minimum wage amendment and the Covid relief act.
Topic Summary: What they have in common.
Created On: 03/08/2021 06:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2021 06:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Both were necessary.

Both were supported by more than two thirds of the population regardless of party affiliation.

Both only happened because the GOP was completely removed from the equations.

The party of no is now the silenced minority.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/08/2021 06:43 AM

Greensleeves

thank you johnnyboy for reminding us of the forward thinking change that is happening to this great nation. God Bless America!

PS Qrump and everyone that approves of him sux.
 03/08/2021 06:48 AM

Cole

I'll put a $20 down that says they block the $15 minimum wage.

I was right.
 03/08/2021 07:51 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Inn what way were both necessary?

I :heart; Q
 03/08/2021 08:58 AM

Greensleeves

Say what what way?

Edited: 03/08/2021 at 09:02 AM by Greensleeves
 03/08/2021 09:20 AM

johnnyboy

Look at Walmart and Sams and compare them with Costco. How many people at Walmart and Sams are at minimum wage or well below the $15 proposed minimum wage?
http://www.foxbusiness.com/mar...p-medicaid-recipients

>>Some of the United States' largest corporations, including McDonald's and Walmart, employ thousands of workers who receive aid from federal assistance programs such as food stamps and Medicaid, according to the findings of a U.S. Government Accountability Office report commissioned by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.

The nonpartisan watchdog agency's analysis of data from the Census Bureau, as well as 15 state agencies across 11 states, found that "millions" of full-time workers rely on government assistance to make ends meet. The report focused on Medicaid benefits as well as recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

Walmart ranked among the top four largest employees of SNAP and Medicaid benefits in the states whose data was included in the report, employing an estimated 14,500 workers who received food stamps, according to the GAO report's findings. McDonald's was listed in the top five for at least nine states and was said to employ nearly 8,800 workers who received SNAP assistance within the data set.<<

These are the working poor that our tax dollars pay for. We make it possible for Walmart and Mcdonalds to pay these people as little as they can legally get away with because we taxpayers have to supplement their food and healthcare. How many people at costco are on benefits? Almost none. They make enough. They dont qualify.

And poor Walmart, how could they ever compete in the market if they had to pay their workers? >> "The Walton family, founders of the world's largest company by revenue, Walmart, and the richest family in the world, just got a whole lot richer.

The family's fortune saw an $11.6 billion boost on Thursday morning after Walmart reported its best sales in a decade in the company's fiscal second-quarter earnings. This brings the family's collective wealth up to $163.2 billion, as of Thursday morning, and keeps the Waltons at the top of the Bloomberg's world's richest families list, at least $64 billion ahead of the next richest family's fortune.<<

The poor Walton's appreciate your support Tpap. The people they hire, on the other hand, think you should take a much closer look at why they need taxpayer assistance just to eat and go to the doctor.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/08/2021 09:25 AM

Greensleeves

It's trickle down in action. Yes we subsidize the rich.

Qotards like tspanq either don't get it or exist on pure greed/hate/booze/oxy/ben-gay.

03/08/2021 11:33 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy Look at Walmart and Sams and compare them with Costco. How many people at Walmart and Sams are at minimum wage or well below the $15 proposed minimum wage? http://www.foxbusiness.com/mar...-medicaid-recipients >>Some of the United States' largest corporations, including McDonald's and Walmart, employ thousands of workers who receive aid from federal assistance programs such as food stamps and Medicaid, according to the findings of a U.S. Government Accountability Office report commissioned by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt. The nonpartisan watchdog agency's analysis of data from the Census Bureau, as well as 15 state agencies across 11 states, found that "millions" of full-time workers rely on government assistance to make ends meet. The report focused on Medicaid benefits as well as recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. Walmart ranked among the top four largest employees of SNAP and Medicaid benefits in the states whose data was included in the report, employing an estimated 14,500 workers who received food stamps, according to the GAO report's findings. McDonald's was listed in the top five for at least nine states and was said to employ nearly 8,800 workers who received SNAP assistance within the data set.<< These are the working poor that our tax dollars pay for. We make it possible for Walmart and Mcdonalds to pay these people as little as they can legally get away with because we taxpayers have to supplement their food and healthcare. How many people at costco are on benefits? Almost none. They make enough. They dont qualify. And poor Walmart, how could they ever compete in the market if they had to pay their workers? >> "The Walton family, founders of the world's largest company by revenue, Walmart, and the richest family in the world, just got a whole lot richer. The family's fortune saw an $11.6 billion boost on Thursday morning after Walmart reported its best sales in a decade in the company's fiscal second-quarter earnings. This brings the family's collective wealth up to $163.2 billion, as of Thursday morning, and keeps the Waltons at the top of the Bloomberg's world's richest families list, at least $64 billion ahead of the next richest family's fortune.<< The poor Walton's appreciate your support Tpap. The people they hire, on the other hand, think you should take a much closer look at why they need taxpayer assistance just to eat and go to the doctor.
That doesn't show me that a $15 minimum wage is necessary. That's what I asked for.

03/08/2021 11:35 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Because anything less is wage slavery. Think of it as guillotine insurance.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 03/08/2021 11:54 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Because anything less is wage slavery. Think of it as guillotine insurance.
Is it? Why $15 then? Why is that the magic number? (Actually, I know the answer to that - unions chose that number because it was a nice, round number - no economic analysis went into it.)

03/08/2021 12:34 PM

johnnyboy

Let me dumb it down for you. $15 minimum wage means we tax payers dont have to subsidize Walmart and Mcdonalds.

03/08/2021 12:48 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

Is it? Why $15 then? Why is that the magic number? (Actually, I know the answer to that - unions chose that number because it was a nice, round number - no economic analysis went into it.)

Rhymes with "fight". A better system would be tied to the local cost of living, but you don't open a negotiation on your compromise position; that is, unless you're a Democrat. They tend to do that all the time.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 03/08/2021 05:48 PM

Cole

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

It's too low, a true living wage needs to be at least $20 an hour to have a real positive economic impact. 70% of the economy is from consumers. Any fool can see that more money to the people means a stronger economy. Handouts to the rich have never worked, the economic data proves it over and over and over. Trickle down does nothing but cover you in pee.

I was right.

Edited: 03/08/2021 at 08:51 PM by Cole
 03/08/2021 06:45 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

...then why not $30 per hour...or $40 per hour?

Seriously...WHY NOT?

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 03/08/2021 06:58 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: johnnyboy $15 minimum wage means we tax payers dont have to subsidize Walmart and Mcdonalds.
BOTH of those businesses are evil and only fools work there or shop there. Discuss,
 03/08/2021 07:09 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Small businesses are just going to pass that expense on to the consumer. I suspect the big ones will too. No legislation to prevent it as far as I know. Then all those people that weren't minimum wage workers that will be now. That will probably feel good to them.
 03/08/2021 07:42 PM

RiddleMe

A little clarification on wages:

There has to be a better way to accomplish the goal of livable wages for people. Small businesses are already having a difficult time and they will not be able to absorb a big increase to payroll like the corporations can. Widening the gap between the two just seems counterproductive. I understand why many small businesses owners are upset with this. I am also sympathetic with the workers who will find years of wage increases that were earned through hard work just disappear because they are now minimum wage workers and will have much less spending power once the inevitable cost gets passed along to the consumer.
 03/09/2021 05:21 AM

johnnyboy

The Walton family is fine, right. These few individuals could live ten thousand years and still never touch the principle. They are not the problem, it's their greedy employees?

03/09/2021 05:29 AM

RiddleMe

Originally posted by: johnnyboy
$15 minimum wage means we tax payers dont have to subsidize Walmart and Mcdonalds.

What about small businesses that can't absorb a large increase to payroll like the corporate monstrosities can? Are they just shit out of luck?
 03/09/2021 05:41 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Because anything less is wage slavery. Think of it as guillotine insurance.
It is a number. No it isn't universal because of regional differences in cost of living. But it is about right on average across a broad area. That is why it is the "magic number" and there was economic analysis that went into it. There are some seriously shithole third world sections of our country where $15 is a stout wage and that minimum is too high. Hell, in our state $15 makes you rich in the confederate flag sector in the big bend and panhandle but you are fucked every else on it. But on average $15 is a floor for making-do without being destitute. I am someone that worked manual labor from age 14 through the end of graduate school. I know what the margin is. $10/hour in undergrad school was a nice floor for a single male with modest needs. They paid me $14,200 per year to go to grad school after that. That was a comfortable wage for a single male with no health issues in a place where housing was cheap back then. That was with me having zero medical expenses though beyond check ups and dental cleanings/inspections. It was the floor. Adjust to modern prices and $15/hour is an average floor.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .