Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Roe v Wade
Topic Summary: On the chopping block
Created On: 12/01/2021 08:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/01/2021 08:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Over 60% of the country prefers the status quo, but the pugs stacking of the SCOTUS may pay off with a win in the culture war against women's rights.

If so, will there be any political cost?

-------------------------
Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 12/01/2021 09:03 AM

follydude

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

My Twitter feed tells me that this is the next new thing for Conservitards.

12/01/2021 09:21 AM

RustyTruck

If they win, it could be something for the Dems to use to stimulate their base, but they only seem to remember they're a political party 12 months in advance of major elections.

They aren't doing a good job so far against the well funded propaganda machine of the far right.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

12/01/2021 10:31 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck Over 60% of the country prefers the status quo, but the pugs stacking of the SCOTUS may pay off with a win in the culture war against women's rights. If so, will there be any political cost?
Is abortion a Constitutional right? Of course not. Overturning Roe would simply have the abortion decision being made by the states and the people, which is as it should be. If the murderers

I :heart; Q
 12/01/2021 10:51 AM

RustyTruck

If bodily autonomy isn't a Constitutional right then we might as well wipe our asses with it.

12/01/2021 10:55 AM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: RustyTruck If bodily autonomy isn't a Constitutional right then we might as well wipe our asses with it.
Wipe away then. It ain't. Nor should it be.

12/01/2021 10:57 AM

OBX

Joined Forum: 11/06/2012

More distraction.

Since we're all going to become Roe vs Wade scholars, and come to battle armed with our programmed bias....I'll start.

I happen to agree with the court's dissent, which was:

"At the heart of the controversy in these cases are those recurring pregnancies that pose no danger whatsoever to the life or health of the mother but are, nevertheless, unwanted for any one or more of a variety of reasons - convenience, family planning, economics, dislike of children, the embarrassment of illegitimacy, etc. The common claim before us is that, for any one of such reasons, or for no reason at all, and without asserting or claiming any threat to life or health, any woman is entitled to an abortion at her request if she is able to find a medical advisor willing to undertake the procedure.

The Court, for the most part, sustains this position: during the period prior to the time the fetus becomes viable, the Constitution of the United States values the convenience, whim, or caprice of the putative mother more than the life or potential life of the fetus; the Constitution, therefore, guarantees the right to an abortion as against any state law or policy seeking to protect the fetus from an abortion not prompted by more compelling reasons of the mother.

With all due respect, I dissent. I find nothing in the language or history of the Constitution to support the Court's judgment. The Court simply fashions and announces a new constitutional right for pregnant mothers [410 U.S. 222] and, with scarcely any reason or authority for its action, invests that right with sufficient substance to override most existing state abortion statutes. The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally dissentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible impacts on the mother, on the other hand. As an exercise of raw judicial power, the Court perhaps has authority to do what it does today; but, in my view, its judgment is an improvident and extravagant exercise of the power of judicial review that the Constitution extends to this Court.

The Court apparently values the convenience of the pregnant mother more than the continued existence and development of the life or potential life that she carries. Whether or not I might agree with that marshaling of values, I can in no event join the Court's judgment because I find no constitutional warrant for imposing such an order of priorities on the people and legislatures of the States. In a sensitive area such as this, involving as it does issues over which reasonable men may easily and heatedly differ, I cannot accept the Court's exercise of its clear power of choice by interposing a constitutional barrier to state efforts to protect human life and by investing mothers and doctors with the constitutionally protected right to exterminate it. This issue, for the most part, should be left with the people and to the political processes the people have devised to govern their affairs.

It is my view, therefore, that the Texas statute is not constitutionally infirm because it denies abortions to those who seek to serve only their convenience, rather than to protect their life or health. Nor is this plaintiff, who claims no threat to her mental or physical health, entitled to assert the possible rights of those women [410 U.S. 223] whose pregnancy assertedly implicates their health. This, together with United States v. Vuitch, 402 U.S. 62 (1971), dictates reversal of the judgment of the District Court.

Likewise, because Georgia may constitutionally forbid abortions to putative mothers who, like the plaintiff in this case, do not fall within the reach of ยง 26-1202(a) of its criminal code, I have no occasion, and the District Court had none, to consider the constitutionality of the procedural requirements of the Georgia statute as applied to those pregnancies posing substantial hazards to either life or health. I would reverse the judgment of the District Court in the Georgia case."

Do I think it warrants all this attention/over turning? No

Gotta rally up the identity politics to keep us divided and prevent us from having honest discussions. Especially since more and more are catching on and uniting over this COVID response BS...

"Its easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Edited: 12/01/2021 at 11:05 AM by OBX
 12/01/2021 10:59 AM

OBX

Joined Forum: 11/06/2012

Originally posted by: RustyTruck If bodily autonomy isn't a Constitutional right then we might as well wipe our asses with it.
Says the guy who supports mandated vaccinations.....lol

In all seriousness, gonna be fun to watch the "my body my right" hypocrisy fly on this topic.....

"Its easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

12/01/2021 11:10 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Vaccines aren't about your autonomy any more than rules against pissing on the sidewalk or shitting in the creek. Of course with the pandemic there should have been mandatory quarrantine and contact tracing in the early days with people reimbursed for any costs incurred. Not some stupid payments to everyone in the country and locking down South Dakota when cities next to ports of entry were the initial hotspots.

12/01/2021 11:23 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

That my body my right hypocrisy will be ugly for all sides.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/01/2021 11:59 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: OBX More distraction. .
That's why Mississippi banned abortion? They are just creating identity politics distractions? Same with Texas? Actually you are right about that. It is great to see you recognize it. But you'll still vote for DeSantis/Trump/Abbott/Gaetz and all the other corporate stooges that live on these "wedge" issues.

12/01/2021 12:01 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: scombrid
Originally posted by: OBX More distraction. .
That's why Mississippi banned abortion? They are just creating identity politics distractions? Same with Texas? Actually you are right about that. It is great to see you recognize it. But you'll still vote for DeSantis/Trump/Abbott/Gaetz and all the other corporate stooges that live on these "wedge" issues.
Miss. did not ban abortions.

12/01/2021 12:04 PM

johnnyboy

Those privileged daughters of God fearing Republicans are going to abide by these prohibitions and not fly to places where its legal?

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/01/2021 12:07 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: OBX

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

If bodily autonomy isn't a Constitutional right then we might as well wipe our asses with it.

Says the guy who supports mandated vaccinations.....lol

In all seriousness, gonna be fun to watch the "my body my right" hypocrisy fly on this topic.....

I support a vaccination requirement for access to common spaces such as the workplace to protect other workers, not a general government mandate.

Your ass was vaccinated for a bunch of stuff before you ate your first booger at Kindergarten.

12/01/2021 12:09 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

Those privileged daughters of God fearing Republicans are going to abide by these prohibitions and not fly to places where its legal?

We both know that answer.

This is a purely culture war subject that completely ignores the fact that it discriminates against the poor, and will result in dead women from botched abortions.

There will always be abortions, the question is whether they will be performed safely or not.

12/01/2021 12:13 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy Those privileged daughters of God fearing Republicans are going to abide by these prohibitions and not fly to places where its legal?
We both know that answer. This is a purely culture war subject that completely ignores the fact that it discriminates against the poor, and will result in dead women from botched abortions. There will always be abortions, the question is whether they will be performed safely or not.
Most everything discriminates against the poor. Flights to Europe, for example. That serves as an inspiration to not be poor.

12/01/2021 12:25 PM

Greensleeves

QOP will pay. Normal women hate you Q believing shitheads. You can have your bubble heads. They are fake as shit and yucky like y'all.
 12/01/2021 12:29 PM

Fish Killer

Joined Forum: 10/09/2005

STFU ball sack face.

The REAL truth is....both of the forum idiots are OWNED.
-BOTH of them have no clue who their owner is.
-They are both card carrying narcissists.
^These are PROVED facts.
 12/01/2021 12:31 PM

Greensleeves

Qish your doctor get back to on your issues?
 12/01/2021 12:47 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy

We both know that answer.

This is a purely culture war subject that completely ignores the fact that it discriminates against the poor, and will result in dead women from botched abortions.

There will always be abortions, the question is whether they will be performed safely or not.

Most everything discriminates against the poor. Flights to Europe, for example. That serves as an inspiration to not be poor.

Great idea, I think first we seize the means of production and end hunger by eating the rich.

FORUMS : National Enquirer (FORMERLY NSR) : Roe v Wade

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .