Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Meanwhile, DeSantis remains on a roll.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/01/2023 06:29 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2023 06:29 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Cancelling DEI and CRT bureaucrats. I look forward to those scammers and leeches hitting the unemployment lines. Guess they could always go to California and get work at the Reparations Bureau.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 02/01/2023 06:37 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

I heard a few weeks ago that he is working on establishing a new state university that would have an emphasis on being politically neutral and forcing state universities to publish the political affiliations of their tenured staff, so parents and students can see which schools will most likely be open to diverse ideas.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 02/01/2023 06:40 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: Sniper

I heard a few weeks ago that he is working on establishing a new state university that would have an emphasis on being politically neutral and forcing state universities to publish the political affiliations of their tenured staff, so parents and students can see which schools will most likely be open to diverse ideas.

Check out what Orban did in Hungary if you want to know the answer to this. Diverse. That's a good one.

Anti gay
Anti trans
Anti Black
Anti Liberal
Anti Original

I was right.
 02/01/2023 06:42 AM

Cole

Government will now be instructing universities. The mighty hand of Big Government.

This is the end of freedom, not the beginning.

I was right.
 02/01/2023 06:50 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: Cole

Government will now be instructing universities. The mighty hand of Big Government.

This is the end of freedom, not the beginning.

Why would a diversity of ideas, and ensuring that both sides have a voice, threaten you? That is kind of what a university is supposed to be.

Honestly, politics shouldn't even factor into the majority of college classes.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

02/01/2023 06:55 AM

Cole

What diverse ideas are we talking about?

Even you can agree that this is a massive increase in government involvement, something all of you claim to be against.

I was right.
 02/01/2023 06:55 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Putin is doing similar things in Russia to legally prohibit any positive depiction of the LBGTQ+ community.

I think the Rhonda's bigotry will be self limiting. I don't think this authoritarian/dystopian far right agenda is going to play well on the national stage. Nationally people are economically insecure, not out to suppress freedom of thought and expression.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/01/2023 07:05 AM

Cole

Florida now has independent investigators to approve books. Every book in every class/library has to be seen and given a green light, if one slips through, the teacher can be charged with a felony and banned from teaching.

Making criminals out of teachers, because the State doesn't approve?

I was right.
 02/01/2023 07:07 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

Putin is doing similar things in Russia to legally prohibit any positive depiction of the LBGTQ+ community.

I think the Rhonda's bigotry will be self limiting. I don't think this authoritarian/dystopian far right agenda is going to play well on the national stage. Nationally people are economically insecure, not out to suppress freedom of thought and expression.

Since when did transparency and diversity of ideas equal bigotry and authoritarianism? I think most parents and students would prefer that both sides have a seat at the table. A university is supposed to be a place where people can openly discuss all sorts of ideas. If DeSantis tries to stock this college with only conservatives then I think it will fail. If he shoots for 50/50 or even more left-leaning professors than right-leaning ones, I think it will do well.

A college education costs a lot. Why shouldn't students and parents have more visibility into what they are getting?

02/01/2023 07:09 AM

Cole

We already have a shortage of teachers, and now they have to deal with this. The big question here is...is this on purpose? More public money to private schools that don't have to follow established state and Constitutional guidelines?

I was right.
 02/01/2023 07:18 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

More public money to private schools that don't have to follow established state and Constitutional guidelines?

Are you all even sure what you want?

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 02/01/2023 07:23 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered

More public money to private schools that don't have to follow established state and Constitutional guidelines?

Are you all even sure what you want?

The second one is open ended, hence the question mark. Is that what they are after? The two are most definitely a conflict.

I was right.
 02/01/2023 07:24 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Since when did transparency and diversity of ideas equal bigotry and authoritarianism? I think most parents and students would prefer that both sides have a seat at the table. A university is supposed to be a place where people can openly discuss all sorts of ideas. If DeSantis tries to stock this college with only conservatives then I think it will fail. If he shoots for 50/50 or even more left-leaning professors than right-leaning ones, I think it will do well.

A college education costs a lot. Why shouldn't students and parents have more visibility into what they are getting?

This isn't about "visibility, transparency, or diversity of ideas", this is about silencing minority and LBGTQ voices throughout the educational system, and if at all possible, to destroy public education itself so that public money can be diverted into the pockets of private capitalist "schools" that are unaccountable to the public and are not required to hire qualified teachers or meet standards.

This is what happens in late stage capitalism when the land and resources run out. The system turns back on itself and the snake starts eating it's own tail. Ask yourself why the big private industries now are healthcare, "defense", prisons, and education. All of those are services intended to support the public good, and as such, should be run publicly. But in the USA, they are cash cows for private industry who can afford to write their own laws. Think about that for a minute.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 02/01/2023 07:25 AM

Cole

Or is it?

If you look close, one slips in nicely with the other.

I was right.
 02/01/2023 07:28 AM

Cole

What are diverse ideas?

Old Conservative ways are taught in school. Less government, less taxes, offshoring business, as well as other conservative ideals.

Are you referring to the current social justice branch of Republican politics? Is that even taught in higher learning circles?

I was right.

Edited: 02/01/2023 at 07:29 AM by Cole
 02/01/2023 07:30 AM

Sniper

This isn't about "visibility, transparency, or diversity of ideas", this is about silencing minority and LBGTQ voices throughout the educational system, and if at all possible, to destroy public education itself so that public money can be diverted into the pockets of private capitalist "schools" that are unaccountable to the public and are not required to hire qualified teachers or meet standards.

This is what happens in late stage capitalism when the land and resources run out. The system turns back on itself and the snake starts eating it's own tail. Ask yourself why the big private industries now are healthcare, "defense", prisons, and education. All of those are services intended to support the public good, and as such, should be run publicly. But in the USA, they are cash cows for private industry who can afford to write their own laws. Think about that for a minute.

Maybe you and I have different ideas about what college is supposed to be. Do you think kids are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for professors to teach them what to do with their dicks? What are you talking about silencing voices? Everyone should be tolerated but what you do with your junk probably isn't something I feel like I need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to hear about.

02/01/2023 07:45 AM

Cole

Where on earth do you get the idea that Trans education is taught in university? And even if it was, it's not forced.

College is the way it is because it's the nature of the beast. The youth of today are open minded. All went to school with gay kids, most went with trans, all knew different races and almost all have had access to the global world through the internet. I'm guessing the Modern Republican doesn't like the above and that's why they want it changed. But can you stop the tide? I guess we will see.

I was right.
 02/01/2023 08:00 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

This is about doing away with the DEI/CRT bureaucracies in state universities. In other words, the money currently wasted on paying these useless con men will go toward the actual education of students. No one is being silenced, only fired for being useless and costly.

I :heart; Q
 02/01/2023 08:02 AM

Sniper

Originally posted by: Cole

What are diverse ideas?

Old Conservative ways are taught in school. Less government, less taxes, offshoring business, as well as other conservative ideals.

Are you referring to the current social justice branch of Republican politics? Is that even taught in higher learning circles?

Would you pay over $100K to have an institution that consists of 99%+ conservatives to educate you or a child of yours?

02/01/2023 08:22 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

99+% of my college education was STEM. The political preferences, orientations, religious beliefs, identities, and other subjective content about profs/students was never discussed.

In the 1% where it was (like required courses in psych, soc, philosophy, history), the discussions would be appropriate but open to all perspectives.

While you can argue those types of courses are subjective, there is legitimate "social science" and data to support objective statements relating to them.

When appropriate to the subject of study, the truth should be discussed and taught (not buried), regardless of where it leads or whom it offends.

Classic example: Would conservative parents want their college-age children to discuss The Bell Curve in a soc/psych class?

Edited: 02/01/2023 at 08:26 AM by CurtisEflush
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .