Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Plumber recommendations
Topic Summary: Showers not draining / toilets not flushing
Created On: 07/11/2020 05:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/11/2020 05:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

woundupintx

Joined Forum: 10/11/2013

I live in Indialantic, house was built in 63. I've been getting all these flyers about my copper plumbing going bad and free inspections. So when we take a shower now the water immediately starts backing up and a 5 minute shower creates 2" of standing water. After the shower it takes sometimes 10-15 minutes for the water to drain and you can't flush a toilet for like 45 minutes. My spare bath tub has never drained properly since I bought the house over 6 years ago, but lately the problems have spread and got drastically worse. Not sure if the copper pipes are the issue or what it is. Does anyone have any trustworthy local guys they'd recommend to look at this issue for me? Thanks in advance, Chris
 07/12/2020 03:31 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

If you live in 60's home chances are you need a repipe of waste lines
And supply lines. Cast iron pipes are failing.
Every home we have owned at the beach
Has been repiped prior to the CO. Go pex and schedule 40
Good luck
Licensed plumber
Dave 1 (321) 537-0480
Paramount(Eric) (321)951-9902

-------------------------
Style is what you make it!

Edited: 07/12/2020 at 04:17 AM by palerider
 07/12/2020 04:36 AM

Long Beard

Joined Forum: 05/13/2007

Advanced Plumbing has been in business here in Brevard for 35 years. They're very repuatable and do very quality work. They just swaped out all the cast iron and copper pipes, fittings, and more in my house. The owner is a surfer and a member of this forum.

321-777-1001.

R I P Mama G.

@Salt.And.Savagery.Fishing

@Laserwolf.Laserwolf

Edited: 07/12/2020 at 04:38 AM by Long Beard
 07/12/2020 02:22 PM

woundupintx

Awesome thank you. What all does getting the pipes swapped out entail? Tearing up each bathroom floors I'd imagine? Does insurance usually cover this or any idea of approximate cost of two bathrooms?
 07/12/2020 03:57 PM

woundupintx

Is there any chance it could be the septic system?
 07/13/2020 02:37 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

^check your water bill for sewer charges

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/13/2020 10:24 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Armchair guess here...clogged main line?? roots or something else, send a cam down the vent on the roof or just get it snaked. It depends on how much you want to spend.A good Plumber will "feel" the blockage and communicate to you when he finds it..You should be outside and be listening for the snake in the line (vibrations in ground & faint noise). When he hits the block mark it as well...and mark the entire line in the yard for later (if you need to find your main line one day)..If it is blocked look around for possible trees that may have roots going into the cast iron Good Luck!
 07/13/2020 03:03 PM

woundupintx

Would a clogged main line cause everything not to drain / flush? Wouldn't that be a supply line? I know for sure I have a septic system as I had it pumper a year ago give or take. Thanks for all the help, if I can't figure it out when I get home in 3 weeks or so I'll call one of the recommended plumbers on here.
 07/13/2020 06:11 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

If you know for sure it's septic, another possibility is a clogged drain field.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/14/2020 02:03 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Septic- If you know where the holding tank is (if you were watching the guy pump it last year), wait maybe half a day or so without putting any new water down the drain from anywhere in the house. Go out and dig around the lid enough to remove it without dumping to much remaining loose dirt into the tank, hopefully the tank will have drained down enough by then for you to inspect down tot the lowest baffle, even if your leach field is clogged some or mostly. Look down in around the tank you'll note 2 like foot long one way rectangular baffles in the sides opposite each other one high one lower and see if they are clogged with a baby wipe or 3 or some other obstruction. You may also be able to see the outflow down to your leach field or mound system, and check that exit with a broom handle length or some such thing you can stick in the opening to unblock anything that may be lodged in there too(may be a buncha paper or wipes gathered up in there. The crap settles in the tank so don't flip out thinking you're gonna have to go through a buncha shit Had a septic for 30 yrs and regardless, I pumped it annually for a C note to avoid the above happening again. If none of that is evidenced, then call a plumber. Remember, the problem is only in the drainage, ignore any main line thinking coming 'IN' to the property. Buena suerte' mate! ymmv

ola ~

07/14/2020 06:55 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: palerider

If you live in 60's home chances are you need a repipe of waste lines

And supply lines. Cast iron pipes are failing.

Every home we have owned at the beach

Has been repiped prior to the CO. Go pex and schedule 40

Good luck

Licensed plumber

Dave 1 (321) 537-0480

Paramount(Eric) (321)951-9902

This.. Same thing you have going on happened to the last house I rented. It was the main line exiting the house, it was cast iron and scaling build up on the inside. The quick fix I found the cap to the line unscrewed it and took out all the crap (literally) and tp that was stuck in there and it started working better and I did this once a day until the plumber arrived and replaced that portion of pipe with pvc.

07/14/2020 09:57 AM

woundupintx

Awesome I really appreciate all the advice. Any recommendations for a septic company? I can't remember who I used last time
 07/14/2020 01:23 PM

Quadro

Joined Forum: 11/14/2017

Pence septic. Try one of the inflatable bladders that attached to your hose. I use one for my outside cleanout and under the sinks to blast them clear if needed.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .