Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What Happened to the River?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2020 04:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2020 01:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

major fish kills and fish on the surface sucking air in CB canals, brown water

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 12/16/2020 11:49 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Right click and select "open image in a tab". Water Management District sensor in the Banana up by the 520.

Edited: 12/16/2020 at 11:51 AM by scombrid
 12/16/2020 11:53 AM

scombrid

Oxygen crashed over here in Rockledge/Cocoa up to the bee line November 27th to the 30th. Now the sensor up by the bee line is again reporting oxygen saturation >150%.

01/20/2021 06:17 PM

scombrid

0.72 inches of rain in December. 0.03 inches of rain so far this month. Water is getting clear in Rockledge, just like last year after several consecutive dry months. But it isn't the run-off that drives the blooms. Must be something else. In other news. Black's sprayed the cocktail on my neighbor's dirt patch yesterday. She irrigates 3-5 times per week in the dead of winter. Salty well water 3-5 times per week is great for dormant grass. I'm sure the Black's cocktail will fix it right up.

01/21/2021 06:38 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Yep, clear water means you can see the grass is gone.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 01/29/2021 05:30 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I'm having a hard time finding any large mullet for cut bait. The bait freezer is sitting empty.

I was right.
 02/01/2021 09:22 AM

Cole

The canals in Cocoa Beach are clear and there ain't a damn fish swimming around in them.

I was right.
 03/17/2021 05:15 AM

scombrid

A liquified starved manatee carcass floated up behind our house yesterday. But the spray trucks dumping the magic fertilizer/fungicide/herbicide/insecticide stew are still rolling. My neighbors mostly water 2-3 days per week year-round. One neighbor runs her full system 3 days per week year round and sometimes 5 days per week when the lawn browns during cooler weather. She thinks brown = dry. The genius has killed half her lawn and still fertilizes the salt crusted dirt that remains. Anyway, few people around here follow the Water Management District guidance on irrigation. Our wells are turning salty. Neighbors don't understand why the fences are rusting out so fast and why their lawns won't grow faster when they are watering non-stop. Kind of annoying. I rarely use my well. But it would be nice if there was some fresh water down there to pull up when establishing a new plant. What would really be nice would be if there was an adequate supply of fresh ground water to the lagoon during the dry season and droughts so that it would go back to normal instead of becoming hypersaline. The lagoon is pretty fucked.

03/18/2021 05:58 AM

stokedpanda

the dying man-yetis are getting some attention and I cant help but think they are part of the problem, giant lawn mowers also pretty sure they eat the grass and roots. Now people are tyring to get tons of lettuce to feed them, which can cause bacteria and other problems uggh

03/18/2021 06:16 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

the dying man-yetis are getting some attention and I cant help but think they are part of the problem, giant lawn mowers also pretty sure they eat the grass and roots. Now people are tyring to get tons of lettuce to feed them, which can cause bacteria and other problems uggh

They definitely do. I used to live off Minutemen Cswy and our back yard sloped into the canal. There were times I'd come out in the morning and there would be three to four of them with a third of their body up in my yard eating the grass. No fertilizers in my yard at least.
 03/18/2021 10:55 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: stokedpanda the dying man-yetis are getting some attention and I cant help but think they are part of the problem, giant lawn mowers also pretty sure they eat the grass and roots. Now people are tyring to get tons of lettuce to feed them, which can cause bacteria and other problems uggh
Manatees only cause measurable damage to sea grass when the carrying capacity of the lagoon is significantly reduced by some other shock. If you have 5% of the grass and 50% of the manatees then they are going to over-eat what is left of the grass. The Manatees are only "part of the problem" because the whole system has basically collapsed.

03/18/2021 11:56 AM

stokedpanda

Originally posted by: scombrid

Originally posted by: stokedpanda

Manatees only cause measurable damage to sea grass when the carrying capacity of the lagoon is significantly reduced by some other shock. If you have 5% of the grass and 50% of the manatees then they are going to over-eat what is left of the grass. The Manatees are only "part of the problem" because the whole system has basically collapsed.

very true, and if they were to try replanting grass if that is even a thing they would find and munch it quick, maybe they can pen up some areas up shallow.

Edited: 03/18/2021 at 11:56 AM by stokedpanda
 03/18/2021 01:02 PM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Ahhhh Sea Grass !!!! I didn't have my third cup of coffee yet this morning
 03/18/2021 02:56 PM

scombrid

Similar thing happens in lakes with turtles. Lake used to have lots of grass. Grass gets nuked by a hurricane and algae blooms from nutrient overload. Try to re-establish grass through planting. Starved turtles eat all the new plants. Re-veg requires a big system reboot. Just planting new plants won't kick it back the other way. There are a lot of good papers out there on "altered stable states" and what it takes to kick them back into a condition you prefer.

03/29/2021 08:17 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Originally posted by: scombrid A liquified starved manatee carcass floated up behind our house yesterday. But the spray trucks dumping the magic fertilizer/fungicide/herbicide/insecticide stew are still rolling. My neighbors mostly water 2-3 days per week year-round. One neighbor runs her full system 3 days per week year round and sometimes 5 days per week when the lawn browns during cooler weather. She thinks brown = dry. The genius has killed half her lawn and still fertilizes the salt crusted dirt that remains. Anyway, few people around here follow the Water Management District guidance on irrigation. Our wells are turning salty. Neighbors don't understand why the fences are rusting out so fast and why their lawns won't grow faster when they are watering non-stop. Kind of annoying. I rarely use my well. But it would be nice if there was some fresh water down there to pull up when establishing a new plant. What would really be nice would be if there was an adequate supply of fresh ground water to the lagoon during the dry season and droughts so that it would go back to normal instead of becoming hypersaline. The lagoon is pretty fucked.
"The lagoon is pretty fucked" lol it's been screwed for 20 years now. Welcome to beautiful Brevard County where growing population greed and wealth matter most. Once the Dudas sold out, the shit hit the fan.. Cant blame them the $$$ was too good to refuse. Natural resources are and will ALWAYS be put on the back burner. Infrastructures Sewage ignored year in and year out but no problems with Virgin building a train from Orlando, improving the Port for Disney to do whatever the hell they want Cruising. Don't forget destroying every beach break/reef we once had with dirt for tourist money that love wide beaches and Resorts. People move hear in the masses monthly and their grass MUST be bigger and greener than the neighbors. Its a never ending cycle that started in 1999 and will never cease. Politicians love it, the blind and ignorant cant even see it and the locals (humans/marine life) are left to bask in the wake of everyone elses SHIT. Enjoy!
 04/01/2021 09:19 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

word^
 04/09/2021 01:59 PM

jdbman

I was was in the North IRL and Mosquito Lagoon today. Went from Scotts more to whale tail. Water Quality looked exceptionally good. Some areas that had been devoid of sea grass are now showing sprigs. ( Also got limit trout with a bonus of a 25incher.....)

Now to clean and cook.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 04/10/2021 08:24 AM

Cole

That is nice to hear. Glad you caught em up JDB.

I was right.
 04/12/2021 02:36 PM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

I'm on the rivers several days a week as a yak guide.
After a several month algae bloom, everyplace I paddle at the moment is quite clear.
Biggest issue I'm seeing at the moment is doofs leaving monofilament everywhere, it's decimating our pelis.
The manatees are in really bad shape
....maybe spraying tons of fucking roundup all over everywhere on our waters isnt such a great idea.......

spindrift

04/12/2021 04:00 PM

jdbman

Manatees sort of did themselves in. No predators, eating all the grass, dropping shit loads of poop, having lots of babies. Kind of like the ancient people on Easter Island, Cut down all the trees and made a population that could not sustain.

FORUMS : Fishing : What Happened to the River?

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .