Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Something for privacy?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2020 07:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Something for privacy?   - whitey - 06/30/2020 07:19 PM  
 Something for privacy?   - surfin1980 - 06/30/2020 09:03 PM  
 Something for privacy?   - SurferMic - 07/01/2020 06:22 AM  
 Something for privacy?   - Quadro - 07/02/2020 07:24 AM  
 Something for privacy?   - whitey - 07/03/2020 03:22 AM  
 Something for privacy?   - Long Beard - 07/22/2020 05:48 PM  
 Something for privacy?   - Palm_Grower - 07/22/2020 07:15 PM  
 Something for privacy?   - Central Floridave - 07/24/2020 07:28 AM  
 Something for privacy?   - whitey - 07/24/2020 11:50 AM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/22/2020 07:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Palm_Grower

Joined Forum: 09/11/2004

I use both areca and fishtail.

Arecas tend to grow in a cone or funnel shape. Small at bottom and move outward.
Easily grows into neighbors property. Produces tons of seed and if you let them drop, they will grow right there and replenish themselves. Fronds tend to grow up with tree as it grows up. Meaning no privacy down low as tree grows. Unless you let seeds grow. clumps abit

Fishtails tend to grow a bit more erect. Caryota mitis is a clumping variety that typically keeps leaves at all levels and fills out well. They have tons of leaflets that look like....fishtails.... They work great for sound suppression. I have a neighbor with a large pool, 6 pumps to be exact. After the oak trees blew down in 05' I could hear...all 6 pumps. Planted a 70' section of property line border and I now hear nothing, and see nothing. Caryota mitis single handedly saved my fruit tree orchard on merritt island. I have south tropical trail lined with them. They saved my orchard. The lychee trees behind them were untouched by 12 hours of wind.

Areca seeds are harmless. Caryota seeds contain oxalitic acid and will cause your hands and arms to "burn" in pain if you try and harvest them without any PPE. Under a microscope looks like fiberglass. Caryota "stalks" will die after flowering. Areca will not.

Arecas are yellow, Fishtails are green.

Depending on level of privacy desired, Caryota mitis is my choice for total privacy. I also back up the caryota mitis with encephalartos ferox cycads for security. They are pretty nasty and you have to be an idiot to walk through it. It will be easy to find you if you choose to walk through the ferox barrier due to the blood trail you will leave behind.

Ferox is big business in South Florida and Carribean Island resorts these days, as broken glass on top of walls is frowned upon.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .