Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Popoyo Nicaragua Trip
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/13/2017 05:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/13/2017 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jahcocoa

Joined Forum: 07/28/2015

I'm headed there for 6 days in two weeks. I'm staying at Two brothers. Any tips about the location, the area, food, nightlife, etc?

07/13/2017 05:50 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Sleep at night, you will be very tired from surfing
 07/13/2017 06:07 PM

gatorsurf92

Joined Forum: 01/31/2017

Probably one of the weirdest nightlife scenes I've seen anywhere just based on the fact that you can go to a packed bar and the guy to girl ratio will be 15 or 20 to one. Mag Rock was a little better because I guess there were more travelers there but yeah the scene overall was pretty strange

-------------------------
"Grip it and rip it"
 07/13/2017 06:15 PM

Got Bait?

Joined Forum: 06/02/2005

Popoyo is a sweet surf spot. Not much else going on really, especially nightlife. Mag rock is probably your best bet. Cool place, vibe, and view. If popoyo gets crowded, which it probably will, roll south to Playa Santanas, wide open beach break, gets real fun imo. If you get a little more adventurous about a 1/2 mile south is Rosada, a little left reef break, shallow it gets pretty dangerous, a fun but fickle spot.

Live bait always prevails over artificial!
 07/13/2017 06:24 PM

Got Bait?

Joined Forum: 06/02/2005

Dude above is spot on a bout the ration. Dude city at most all places... Also, if be careful getting drunk at Mag Rock.. It sits on a solid size cliff, you get a little to hammered and get around the hand railing, it could be a devastating tumble down..

Live bait always prevails over artificial!
 07/13/2017 06:32 PM

gatorsurf92

Joined Forum: 01/31/2017

Food is not as cheap as you might expect in the area. Cheapest and best food imo is at Yolanda's. It's run by this real sweet old lady. Only alcohol she serves is wine but she lets you bring in beers from the store next door if you like. My girlfriend ordered ceviche at another spot and no lie she got tuna from a can that had been put in lime juice. The little italian joint on the beach at rancho santana is also dope and pretty reasonably priced

"Grip it and rip it"
 07/14/2017 02:43 AM

puinsai

Joined Forum: 09/08/2011

If you do fall down the cliff at Mag Rock, there is a cool point like break off the north end of the rock. It breaks into the cove. If it's a big thumping swell and you want a little more relaxed wave, this spot can be fun. They even rent longoards there real cheap. Watch when the tide drops.

07/14/2017 05:05 AM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

popoyo was always super crowded - go to other breaks if you get frustrated man, boat trip to colorados or panga 

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

07/14/2017 06:06 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Triple check your bags for scorpions on return day

07/14/2017 06:23 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

The main break at Popoyo is great but just up from it is Surgeon's Table. It is a table flat reef that gets really shallow but can be a super tempting hollow barrel right. It got it's name for a reason so unless you are confident and quick on your feet avoid it.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 07/14/2017 at 07:51 AM by daner
 07/14/2017 06:53 PM

nicacondo

Joined Forum: 05/24/2011

My suggestion if you do a boat trip is not to head South toward Rosada (Rancho Santana) or Colorados/Panga Drops (Hacienda Iguana).  There will already be a lot of surfers staying in both of those places in the water when you pull up.  I would take a boat trip North from Popoyo.  Much less crowded than the South for sure.  The boat captains will know where to go.  If you take a boat you want to go to a break without land access, not ones with dozens of houses and condos sitting on the beach.  Just my two cents.

07/18/2017 06:57 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Or south from Popoyo...Windmills or further to Yanqui.

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 07/18/2017 12:13 PM

surfnole

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

As I recall, two brothers is right over a break called "Playgrounds" which is very good. Popoyo wasn't always crowded. I had the pleasure of surfing it a few years with less than 10 guys out. Sometimes just my friends and I. Let me know if that maniac dad of the two brothers is still around. You might experience his roid rage as we did. He likes to sit on the peak with his long board and take all the waves and yell that other's haven't earned the right to sit on the peak (coming from a gringo). The brothers were cool, and I think their dad embarrassed them.
 07/18/2017 01:34 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Just got back from a week there.  Stayed at Hotel Popoyo right near two bros.  Offshore the whole time of course.  Good size the whole time which is a bit unusual for there. Surfed Popoyo, Santana, Colorados, Panga Drops, Astillero, Manzanillo, and Chocoente.  Heard Playgrounds was great and saw outer reef break (was there with a guy that surfed it, no thank you).  If you want night life you can dig some up but boys above are right about it being odd.  If you are with guides like twobros that get you on the surf you will be dead tired like cheaterfive says.

Colorados with hopro:

IMG_2824_sRGB.JPG
IMG_2824_sRGB.JPG  (176 KB)
 07/18/2017 02:37 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Nice tube Greensleeves.
 07/19/2017 07:25 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Thank you theglide.  I pretty much surfed like someone that went from surfing flat waves to real waves.  What I usually forget about while dreaming of bigger waves is the amount of current that is swirling around with them.  Reefs have water moving across them, beachbreaks have rips popping up.  Most of us Floridians can surf for long periods of time so that helps but when the current gets going you need additional speed to stay in position and it takes a few days to get back in the swing.  Bigger boards help.   

If the forecast says 3-5 at 15 or more it's getting some juice.  3-5 at 13 and lower opens up the beachies and that is a great thing there as there are so many more options.

07/19/2017 09:16 AM

SurferEd

Joined Forum: 08/19/2003

Just got back from two weeks doing that coast...on a 9'6" paddleboard...bringing a knife to a gunfight....I did not think it was crowded anywhere compared to what you can expect at good spots in Florida...except Colorado...one morning I walked out the back door and saw a guy make it out of a tube, almost spilled my coffee. The surf was epic...the lack of anything like a doctor or hospital made me very careful. My wife had a chair fall on her foot the first day and spent the trip with her foot all swollen...made me think about what could happen. I found the people friendly...but this is the poorest place I have ever seen. We were riding into a place in a brand new 4x4 through a town where mostly people walked or piled 5 on a dirt bike....I never felt more like leaving a big tip than I did there.. I left my board with the French guy at Popoyodingrepair.com....very cool guy....I hope he posts a photo when he hits the outer reef with it! We stayed at Hotel Popoyo, which I highly recommend, them, the place, the food.

www.EdsEcoAdventures.com
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .