Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Open Invitation to the 2ndLight Forum
Topic Summary: Still no takers?
Created On: 10/17/2017 12:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2017 12:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TheFirstPeakProject

Joined Forum: 01/12/2016

Since May we've been holding a series of public forums.  We started Memorial Day at Sebastian Inlet Surf & Sport.  We then had events at Walking Tree Brewery, Hell n Blazes, Longdoggers and our most recent event at the Regular Joe surf festival teaming up with Surfrider Foundation.
We've been holding these public events to share a beer with everyone and talk about all the details of Restoring First Peak such as timelines, the permitting process, how sand effects the wedge and everything.  We have powerpoints, budgets, computer models, blueprints, everything. We advertised these events heavily on social media (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram) as well as sent out emails to our subscriber list.  All-in-all the turn outs were good and people are getting stoked on the movement.

Here is what we can offer the 2nd light forum members:

Between now and the King of the Peak Contest Nov. 4th, Lets hold another public forum.  As in the past, we invite everyone to come out and see for themselves that this is a very real endeavor. These forums are a chance to ask all the questions you want a get an indepth look at the First Peak Project.  Breweries are the best places to have these events.  Maybe someone on here as a connection at a local brewery and would like to help host an event?

The only other thing we can offer is a private meeting.  We have given presentations to various government entities, including the SI Tax District.  For the private presentation, we need somewhere quiet, professional, and about 1 to 2-hours of your time.

If anyone on this forum is truly serious about becoming part of the First Peak Project and either hosting an event or arranging a private meeting, please email us at reflection@firstpeak.org to setup a presentation.

This opportunity to restore the wedge is much more real than anyone on here thinks. We've got the sand dialed. Our solution improves jetty strength and longevity and we even have a way to team up with the Army Corps.  No BS.  In our many discussions with county and park officials, they want to see public demand before making any serious investments in the project.  We know there are strong community influencers on the 2ndLight Forum and we please ask you to reach out to us, learn more about the opportunity, and help us get the community behind this project.

Let's make it happen!

-------------------------

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 10:28 AM by TheFirstPeakProject
 10/17/2017 04:44 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

Win win win. Let's build it! 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 10/19/2017 02:44 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

I have some connections at Florida Beer Company...at the very least we can enjoy some good brew and talk about waves...I'll see what I can pull together. The issue I see is that only surfers want this...the Govt and non-surfers could care less. The Inlet and jetty as they stand are acceptable from erosion and storm damage perspectives and provide adequate public use (fishing and boating). Sure FPP may generate a few jobs for a short period of time, but not enough for a substantial public expenditure. It would take quite the public outcry (something surfers are notoriously poor at creating) for the Govt to fund the project, or surfers would have to pay for it themselves. Even if the project was a slam dunk guaranteed success, who's going to pay for it? I'm sure you've considered all of this, but the public/financial aspect is likely a harder problem to solve than the engineering problem. I think the crowdsourcing approach may be your best bet.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 10/20/2017 01:49 AM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

have to agree with SurfCaster
what is the benefit to others?

other than mostly local surfers, what is the benefit to surfers outside of florida?
i dont think they care

most important - with the exception of surfers - what is the benefit to others?
how does it benefit fishermen, boaters, others?
 10/20/2017 05:10 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Maybe the WSL will run more contests out of Sebastian and the officials can tax the tourists

10/20/2017 05:28 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Alright, you’re killing me smalls.

10/20/2017 06:11 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Joust much with windmills?

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 10/20/2017 06:12 AM

TheFirstPeakProject

Originally posted by: GreenLantern have to agree with SurfCaster what is the benefit to others? other than mostly local surfers, what is the benefit to surfers outside of florida? i dont think they care most important - with the exception of surfers - what is the benefit to others? how does it benefit fishermen, boaters, others?

GreenLantern - Ah, there are so many benefits. If you really want to know more you have to get a good baseline.  The Surfrider Foundation, SaveTheWave along with many other global partners, invest a tremendous amount of time and money into the valuation of surfing waves.  A good surfing spot through tourism and surfing contests will generate sometimes near $20 MIL for the local economy.  Google Surfonomics in regards to Trestles, Mavericks, Mundaka, Ruggles, Los Lobos and you'll see the types of economic benefits good surfing spots create.

In terms of the fishing, the panels will be eco-friendly and designed to recruit more worm reef which is the backbone of the ecosystem.  Right now, the inner pier at the inlet is corroding in place (remember the park built a new jetty on top and left the old one in place to rot). Corroding concrete and rusting rebar is extremely acidic and not good for the environment. By preserving the old jetty (and mitigating this acidification process) and growing more worm reef, the estimation is that the north side of the jetty may act like a fishery of sorts, creating a healthy spawning area for local fish.

And restoring First Peak isn't just about the surfers.  Think about the artists, photographers, writers, surf shops and local hotels & restaurants.  First Peak was so much more than just a wave, it was a community gem.

We are working with the Business School at FIT and the Brevard County Tourist Development Commission to put together a full economic benefit study that will include locals, tourists, fishermen and the community at large. 

We're on it!

The First Peak Project is a 501(c)(3) public benefit organization whose mission is to restore the legendary wave First Peak at Sebastian Inlet to its former glory. 

www.firstpeak.org

10/20/2017 08:08 AM

CERTON

Joined Forum: 04/22/2011

I was contacted by a trusted source that's vouching for you, so I'll set something up for us to talk in person.

"Don't count the days, make the days count." -Ali
#rydyrstrong
 10/20/2017 01:17 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Here is the link to their charity information.

http://www.charitynavigator.or....profile&ein=811123673

I was right.
 10/20/2017 07:55 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

In terms of economic benefit, the state park system has information on visitorship and activities.  I haven't looked at recent numbers, but Anastasia Island State Park is an economic powerhouse for St. Augustine (getting rid of beach driving apparently didn't hurt much, and made the birds happy).  Sebastian Inlet is also busy, and it should be feasible to figure out how much surfing contributes, and might contribute. 

10/20/2017 11:12 PM

Av8Surf

Joined Forum: 09/05/2014

I was at the Jetty yesterday. Some serious energy hits that structure. I imagined how a more solid wall would reflect the wave. Even on a bad day like yesterday, the surf could be great. The reflection hitting the next incoming wave. Probably make it one the best surf spots in ALL of Florida. $$$ income potential. 

Trading Surfboards for Bitcoin or Ethereum.

Send me Bitcoin 1Dk8oJnprZfvXGDfZpxkuoko8SSVf5Tpp2

Boards For Sale: SUPs 11 foot and 12 foot BRAND NEW. Fair prices.
 10/21/2017 03:38 PM

TheFirstPeakProject

Originally posted by: ww  should be feasible to figure out how much surfing contributes, and might contribute. 

ww - An economic impact assessment is required as part of the permitting process.  Obviously, if any project or porposal is a money loser, then its a loser, period, and nobody is going to support it, not even the park.

As an example, back in 2008 Brevard County spent $90,000 to evaluate the possibility of building an artifical surfing reef in Cocoa Beach.  A portion of that $90,000 went to an economic study.  Here is a PDF of that study. As part of the permitting process, the First Peak Project will need to conduct a similiar study.

However, when it comes to accessing economic viability, the originating design firm (in this case the First Peak Project) can NOT perform the economic viability study.  It creates a conflict of interest.  Therefore, the economic segment must be conducted by a third party.  We've already contacted the Florida Institute of Technology's Business School and FIT (or one of their contractors) will perform the economic study when the permitting time comes.

Have faith! There are many indicators point towards the restoration of First Peak being a huge boom for the local economy. We done a preliminary check on the economic impact of restoring First Peak and it is on par with Trestles, Mundaka and Mavericks. We're only hoping that the state park and county catch on and realize that restoring this wave is a great thing to do for the community, the surfers, and local businesses.

www.firstpeak.org

Edited: 10/21/2017 at 05:13 PM by TheFirstPeakProject
 10/24/2017 07:35 AM

TheFirstPeakProject

Is any one going to take us up on our offer?

www.firstpeak.org

10/24/2017 05:27 PM

nightkro

Joined Forum: 09/18/2009

Tons of breweries in Orlando...

10/27/2017 08:31 AM

MyCatSprays

Joined Forum: 04/16/2015

Well, after speaking with Trip Freeman, Im 110% backing the FPP and think anyone on here who has ever enjoyed a wave, caught a Snook, and/or enjoyed any type of outing at Sebastian Inlet State Park, should seriously consider supporting Jeremy and Justin, if even a 20 spot to their cause. Their is a huge part of the Inlet hierarchy and Legends that believe in and back this project. And who doesnt like to drink beer and talk story about surfing!!! This can work, and at 200k and the availability to surf it no matter surf stature, age, financial status, ect., its a far better by in than KS11's Wave Pool at 50 million and none of us will ever get the chance nor havecthe $$ to surf it!!! These kids are engineering genius's, have worked and spent tirelessly, and have all of the specs to a T. Lets help em' out and see what happens!! Hell, I can think of a dozen worse ways 200K could be spent, andvis every minute by our pork filled Government!! At least this one has hope, a positive outcome, and the possibilty, (as I justcread above), of making 1st Peak even better than it was and create a World Class surf spot, and possibly a WSL, or at least a 'QS comp that has always stimulated the local economy!! C'mon yall; Read these boys details, believe, and pony up some duckets!! One less 12pak or a few less Kryp swats aint gonna hurt your bottom line!! I made $350 this week, and sending $50 of it to FPP here shortly!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 10/27/2017 09:32 AM

SoHiGH

Joined Forum: 07/10/2015

Well shit man I didn't see that one coming.

This 180 turnaround puts a wrinkle in the plan to have you post some smack on Ke11y's Instagram about how idiotic this whole FPP concept is so he'd get behind it or at least link to the GoFundMe site just to spite you!

Back to the drawing board... Puff puff, pass

10/27/2017 11:46 AM

MyCatSprays

SoHigh, dont ever try and prethink nor 2nd guess The Col. bro!! You'll always lose and be left wanting!! Nice try though, and epic screen name!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 10/29/2017 07:25 AM

MyCatSprays

BUMP BUMP!!! A good Project and a good read!!!

Tubes, Boobs, & Doobs!!!
 10/29/2017 07:35 AM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Where is Surfrider in all this? Sounds like this is right in their wheelhouse.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
FORUMS : Surfing : Open Invitation to the 2ndLight Forum

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .