Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/03/2019 09:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Bamboo - 05/03/2019 09:27 PM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Kimo63 - 05/04/2019 06:10 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - johnnyboy - 05/04/2019 07:40 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Bamboo - 05/04/2019 07:45 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Kimo63 - 05/04/2019 05:37 PM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Cole - 05/06/2019 05:12 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - dingpatch - 05/06/2019 05:35 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - TeeBirdForever - 05/06/2019 07:33 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - johnnyboy - 05/06/2019 09:06 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - worksuxgetsponsered - 05/07/2019 04:20 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - johnnyboy - 05/07/2019 07:41 AM  
 Google Doodle honors legendary surfer Eddie Aikau   - Plan B - 05/07/2019 08:14 AM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/04/2019 07:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Everyone is eventually humbled by the ocean. I myself have been humbled many times only to that I didn't need any more lessons. I learned the hard way two truths: it's the best swimmers that often drown and it's what you learn after you know everything. Last March I found myself on the outside of that monster swell in palm beach. I had my big wave board, I was ready and it was huge. It kept getting even bigger and it was so huge and breaking so fast that it was basically impossible. It got to where I kept paddling further and further out to avoid getting swept by the sets. Finally I was out far enough where I could not get the wave and I couldn't get in. There was a group of us. Stuck. It started feeling dangerous. I had paddled for and missed waves that looked like massive car crushers that I imagined I could make if I dropped in on my rail and I actually made one drop only to bobble and wreck when I held the rail too long. Here I was again. In a dangerous place thinking I could turn defeat into victory with a bomb drop and a pulled rail. I was blaming my buddy for choosing this spot over reef road but we both made our choice and we both thought we had beat the crowd and scored a bigger better wave. Instead we were stuck and couldn't even get in. Let the humbling begin. It took me an hour to get get in. My fin sliced my heel in the spin cycle and I got out a mile south of where I got in. How many waves did I get? None. I was held under so long I had to climb my leash. I only know this trick because I keep learning the same lesson and keep confusing bravery with stupidity. This is in no way the same as Eddie trying to paddle impossible distances to save his friends but his choice to surf monster waves and go on open water paddles for thousands of miles is the same. It is this. There is no fine line between a well reasoned risk and a stupid choice. The only difference is humility. You know, that lesson we keep relearning our whole lives.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .