Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: palm fronds dwarf and not fully flushing
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/25/2021 06:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/25/2021 06:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

I have a handful of palms in my yard that have had their fronds dwarf where they are much smaller than previous fronds. Also, they spears never fully push all the way out and are "stuck" inside where they push out. Some I can see have a dark fungus looking growth up around where the fronds push out. Others dont. I have read a few things this can be. Looking for any info. Boron deficiency, fungus being two. Many other palms near the area that are not affected. I have sprayed with a fungus chemical and it did nothing. I am starting to conclude palms are like all other species and some are just weak and dont make it. any input would be appreciated.
 05/25/2021 11:07 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Yup. Boron deficiency causes floppy heads. Borax can be used as a fert for boron. I think, google it first.

Look up ganaderma. hope you don't have that. Look for a mushroom conch in the trunk.
 05/27/2021 12:41 PM

Coconuts

Joined Forum: 09/18/2003

Stunted leaves etc is a common effect of Winter, especially in potted palms, you'll notice this in Spring. When temps go below 60F plants cannot take up nutrients resulting in deficiency. Lots of times the problem corrects itself when temps warm up with no intervention. But sometimes fertilizer is needed.
 05/30/2021 07:31 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Be careful of applying Borax. Too much can be poisonous.
 06/07/2021 01:31 PM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

upon closer inspection, the palms are all ate up with atleast whitefly and possibly a beetle. Treated with bifen. Hopefully they recover and push some new growth this summer.
 08/06/2021 01:20 PM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Originally posted by: Central Floridave

Yup. Boron deficiency causes floppy heads. Borax can be used as a fert for boron. I think, google it first.

Look up ganaderma. hope you don't have that. Look for a mushroom conch in the trunk.

I just took a 18' Foxtail down that had ganaderma. It had three conchs. I couldn't see them because I have African Iris around the base of the Foxtails. Dug everything out including root, the soil and sent it to the landfill. Not the yard waste stream as it is transmitted thru the spores.

I see trunk wasting at ground level on two more. Both over 15'.

Ok, I was warned getting yardwaste stream compost was risky. But, I did it anyway and there was probably several fungus types in it. Unfortunately, one was ganaderma. But, it is noted to grow in every PH and soil type, moisture level. Currently, there is no cure.

-------------------------
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .